Debbie and Dan | Main | Criss Cross: Finding the Truck Cab in Your Life

I want to be like you

Download file

In the beginning of the book Criss Cross, Debbie attempted to emulate her sister Chrissanne. She wore her makeup, took her clothes and wanted to be her. Most adolescents go through this experience if they have an older sibling or other party that they looked up to. Did you ever experience this and how did it affect your coming of age transition?

By Emily Haine, Anna Hoffman and Jayme Bennett

Posted by at September 28, 2006 6:24 PM | Criss Cross

I was definitely the younger, pesky sister. I adored my older sister. I would dig through her closet. I would try on her clothes. And worst of all I would read her diary. I wanted to be her. She went out with her friends. She had her own phone in her room. She had a car! She had it all! All I wanted was to be my sister. Idolizing my sister influenced my transition into teenage years and beyond. I learned from my sister's mistakes and made sure NOT to make those mistakes. But I did try to be as "cool" as her. I'm not if I succeeded! One thing I know is that she helped with those first awkward moments. First kiss, etc!

Posted by: Natalie Senske at October 1, 2006 3:50 PM

I didn't have an older sibling to look up to. I was always a little envious of my friends who had older siblings to "borrow" clothes or makeup or whatever. I did, however, have two younger brothers. The older brother would never tell anyone he looked up to me but he did steal my one pair of black girbaud jeans and "borrow" my stereo quite often.

Posted by: Amy Moe at October 1, 2006 9:26 PM

I definately had an older sister who I tried to be exactly like. She was one of the most popular girls in our school so I was just referred to as "jesi's sister" by everyone. I would steal her clothes all the time and always ask to go places with her and her friends. I spent most of my 6th and 7th grade years trying to be her before I realized how dorky and annoying that was.

Posted by: Cassandra Rice at October 1, 2006 11:58 PM

I had four older siblings. THey shaped my vision of life in powerful ways. Their experiences were shared and intersected with my own. The changes they went through, and the events leading up to those changes enabled me to make selected decisions later on. HAving two older sisters and two older brothers allowed me to view life through four differing perspectives. My sister took me downtown to the CHicago COnservatiory of Music when I was nine, when her passion was conducting orchestras. This was after she joined the convent, quit the convent, and before she was married to an ex-priest. (That's one example).

Posted by: Mary F. Wright at October 2, 2006 1:34 PM

My older brother had an important impact on me. I borrowed his clothes and such, but I saw him in a different way because we were brothers. I was so envious of how smart and popular and athletic he was. The relationship of brothers is intresting because of the interaction in situations like these brought up in the question. I was very envious of his popularity. I did, however, think my brother helped me in situations like these brought up by this blog question.

Posted by: Matt Evensen at October 8, 2006 12:26 PM

I was the older sister. I guess I remember my sister constantly comparing herself to me. If I played a sport, she wanted to play that sport and play it better. When I picked up the violin, she decided she wanted to play the violin. Everything I did, she had to one up me. It was strange though, because for me it was never a competition. I did what I liked and wanted because that's how I am. She seemed to do it to prove that she could be better than me.

Did you ever experience this and how did it affect your coming of age transition?

Posted by: Amanda Powers at October 8, 2006 3:52 PM

I was an only child... boo hoo! I know poor me right? But it was pretty lonely. I didn't really have anyone close to my own age to look up to. My mom was probably the closest person in my life that I really looked up to and tried to be like. I like wearing her clothes and make-up. As I got to be in about third grade I turned into a big tom boy and didn't wear make up or dress too nicely until probably my junior year of high school. My mom really helped me see that you didn't need to be smokin' hot on the outside as long as you were beautiful on the inside. Cheesy I know but I love looking back and remember the good ol' days of not caring what I looked like!

Posted by: Sarah at November 16, 2006 4:59 PM