Crush It & Beat It | Main | Emmett Till: Gone But Not Forgotten

Keesha's HOuse

Download file

In Keesha's House, adolescents are faced with many social issues. This movie cpatures the many ways they cope with their social situations. In what ways do you feel this novel mirrors the real life of teenagers today and how do you think we can help them?

Posted by at October 27, 2006 1:30 PM | Keesha's House

I think this novel touches on so many topics that teenagers, and people in general, have to deal with. Homosexuality, abuse, foster care, drinking and driving, and other issues are all brought together in this wonderful book. This book shows what these students were facing and how they dealt with it.
As far as what we can do to help others struggling, that's tough. Sometimes all a person needs is a good listener and someone who cares. Knowing that you have someone who cares about you can help you get through a situation. Where legal issues, like abuse, are concerned, we as teachers will have to deal with that according to school policy and law. Hopefully we can be there for the student while they go through that difficult time.

Posted by: Amanda Powers at October 29, 2006 11:56 AM

Keesha's house was a symbol for an outlet for these teenagers. With our movie and the book, so many different issues are touched on. And the one thing in common with all of these different circumstances seemed to be the fact that all of these teenagers were simply looking for someone to talk to, somewhere they can feel safe, somewhere that feels like home. With teenagers today, this book helps dramatize that adolescents aren't just coping with the "coming of age" traumas, but things that affect them that are out of their control, and often can be too overwhelming due to the fact that they feel there is no one to relate to. The most important thing is to make sure teenagers know that they aren't alone, that there are safe places to go, and always someone to talk to.

Posted by: Jayme Bennett at October 29, 2006 3:03 PM

This movie and book depicts the life of a teenager very well. The short narratives show one dimensiont to the life of a teenager. My parents have always told me that I grew up during a hard time in history. What about teenagers now?! It hasn't gotten any easier. It has actually gotten harder! The book and imovie we created mirrors the issues and lives of our teenagers today. Nothing is really easy. There is always something.

Posted by: Natalie Senske at October 29, 2006 4:50 PM

I feel that this novel mirrors teenager's lives today very well. Their isn't a topic in this book that teens wouldn't be aware about and many have probably dealt with some of them. It also brings up the issue of how they can get help if they are experiencing things like these. Teens need to realize that there is help for them and people that they can trust.

Posted by: Cassandra Rice at October 30, 2006 3:19 PM

I think it mirrors real life very closely. The one thing that really stands out to me is the teen pregnancy. That was very prominent at the high school I attened. Girls thought it was "cool" to have a baby. They carried them around like they were dolls. On the other hand, a friend of mine had a sister that got pregnant her sophmore year. Her parents decided to home school her and keep the pregnancy a secret. They were very ashamed and ended up giving the child up for adoption. I'm not really sure how the girl feels now that time has passed but in her case her parents did ALL of the decision making. The case in Keesha's House is different. Either way it is something that is very hard to go through at such a young age. Babies shouldn't be having babies, they should be able to have fun while they still can.

Posted by: Sarah at November 16, 2006 5:17 PM