A Tribute To Emmett Till 2 | Main | Shhhhh....

Changing Times

Download file

The world has come a long way since Emmett Till's time, especially in terms of racist attitudes. Do you think that these attitudes are still changing? For the better or the worst? Do you think that something as horrible as what happened to Emmett Till could happen today? Explain you answer?

Posted by at November 5, 2006 6:30 PM | Emmett Till

It almost seems like when it comes to human nature, there always has to be a 'group' to take it all out on. Sadly, racism is something that I don't see ever really "going away." People will always want to take there own insecurities out on someone else. As far as a hate crime like emmett's lynching happening? No, not that specific crime, but something that will determine an innocent bystander's fate.

Posted by: Jayme Bennett at November 13, 2006 12:29 AM

I think attitudes are alwasy changing, but not necessarily for the better. I think that when the Civil Rights Movements first started, everyone was very aware of the issues. Now, it seems like things are "all better" so these issues are not getting attention. I think we are regressing back to where we were. It is not as bad as it once was, but I think it got better and is now starting to get worse.
I think that what happened to Emmett Till could happen again. The KKK and sympathizers of the KKK are still alive and committing their crimes against humanity. However, racist crimes now are more likely to be punished, whereas during Emmett's time it was commonplace not to give sentences to white people guilty of crimes against those of color.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 13, 2006 5:21 PM

Posted by: Amanda Powers at November 13, 2006 5:22 PM