Shhhhh.... | Main | Remembering Pedro

Word Association

Download file

Before you view our movie, please take a look at these words and think about the first thing that comes to mind. Are you reinforcing a stereotype? Post a reflection and let us know after you watch the video what you think about your reactions compared to others on the UMD campus. What do you think Pedro would say to some of our classmates?

MTV
Real World San Francisco
Shingles
Pedro Zamora
Love
Death
AIDS
Purple
Liberal
Rainbow
Gay
Homosexual

By Cassandra Rice and Emily Haine

Posted by at November 9, 2006 7:50 PM | Pedro and Me

Most of the words didn't have any real stereotype attached to it for me.
However, Purple, Rainbow, Gay, and Homosexual are all linked in my head.
AIDS being labeled "scary" is hard to tell if this is a negative or not. If people are scared of those who have it and thus avoid them, then it is a negative. If people are simply scared of the disease and what it is capable of, that is understandable.
It is difficult to tell from one word responses whether or not negative stereotypes have been created. While it is a stereotype to associate certain words with others (like "purple" and "gay"), this is not a bad thing unless the person intends it to be a negative. In short, there are such things as 'good' stereotypes.

Posted by: Amanda Powers at November 11, 2006 3:41 PM

I think that those words just really inititiated specific emotional thoughts that are natural to have. For example, when I think of AIDS a fear enter my mind due to the stories and facts I know about the illness. It was a cool idea that you guys did, and I think I compare to most UMD studetns in the sense that I go off of my own information and specific personal connections I have to those words.

Posted by: Jayme Bennett at November 13, 2006 12:17 AM

I think that I have similar responses to the words. Some of them I think are sterotypes, and some of them are just a natural reaction. The thought of AIDS being scary is somewhat accurate. In my opinion I think that having AIDS would be a very scary thing to go through. Although I don't think it's right to be scared of a person who has AIDS, but rather treat them as you would anyone else.

Posted by: Anna Hoffman at November 13, 2006 12:23 PM

I hate to admit that I would think the same things when it comes to stereotypes. I think the most meaningful piece of the i-movie was the word association of AIDS. What would I say? I probably would define what AIDS means. I might say death. GREAT BLOG!

Posted by: Natalie Senske at November 13, 2006 5:05 PM

I think a lot of our stereotypes are enrouaged and even promoted by media. I don't want to make excuses but media perpetuates our ideas by casting the gay guy as a femine looking guy with a charactor personality just like those from "Queer Eye." Other stereotypes, like AIDS being scary, is understandable because the only time AIDS makes headlines is for death tolls, memorials for people who have passed away.

Posted by: Amy Moe at November 13, 2006 5:06 PM

Posted by: Amy Moe at November 13, 2006 5:07 PM

I think your movie is done so well. It is very powerful and the way that the responses are very quick and short really make the answers have more meaning. I think that some of the stereotypical answers from UMD would anger Pedro, but I think that Pedro would straighten us out pretty quick.

Posted by: Matt Evensen at November 13, 2006 5:09 PM

Most of the words meant random things to me, like I associated shingles to my grandma because she recently had them. The words rainbow and homosexual made me associate them with gay. I thought of the rainbow as more flamboyant and homosexual as an average gay person. In regaurds to the movie, I couldn't hear it very well but I was surprised by some associations because they didn't have the book to lead them to anything. I think that media has a lot to do with people making these automatic associations between homosexuals and random things.

Posted by: Sarah at December 7, 2006 8:47 PM