A Wreath for Emmett Till by Marilyn Nelson and Philippe Lardy | Main | homage to my hips (p. 65)

Hector's First Song

In the novel, Criss Cross, Hector spontaneously decides he wants to learn how to play the guitar. Have you ever had a time when you wanted to try something different? If so, what was it and how did it turn out? If not, what stopped you from pursuing it?

Download file

there's this boy in my class
there's this boy in my class

what's his name?
what's his name?

don't want to say
don't want to say

im thinkin' bout
im talkin' bout
boys boys boys
boys boys boys

im thinkin' bout
im talkin' bout
girls girls girls

some girls are so stupid
some girls are so stupid

that guy has no brains
that buy has no brains

this love stuff is so lame
this love stuff is so lame

im thinkin' bout
im talkin' bout
boys boys boys
boys boys boys

im thinkin' bout
im talkin' bout
girls girls girls

( one two three)

- refrain lyrics written by Hector ( with slight modifications by Liz and Sam)
- verse lyrics and vocals written and performed by Liz and Sam.

* special thanks to Joel ( guitar) and Jenna.

Posted by at February 1, 2007 4:30 PM | Criss Cross 2007

Of course, there are many things we want to try to be or do, and along the path of my own life, I have "tried out" many things. When I was younger (around Hector's age) I wanted to be a singer and a guitar player. My sister owned a music studio and after I learned to play simple songs, she hired me to teach in her studio. SO, inadvertantly, my desire to play guitar, intorduced me to the art of "teaching" which is what I ultimately ended up doing. I also sang for my brother's rock band for a brief period, and although I was rather shy, the feeling of being on stage was powerful and empowering.

Posted by: mary F. Wright at February 2, 2007 12:20 PM

As for trying something different, I am sure there are many instances in my life where this has been the case. An event that pops out in my mind was quiting basketball my eleventh grade year after playing since the fifth gade. This came as a shock to many people but I just didn't enjoy it anymore. So instead my Senior year I tried out for the Varsity cheerleading team for wrestling. I was with some of my best friends and it ended up being a blast. I don't regret the change at all for one minute. I met alot of great people and I still felt part of the team! My parents encouraged me to be happy so I pursued that with making a change in my life.

Posted by: Jessica Tewalt at February 3, 2007 11:23 AM

Of course there are many times in life where I have tried something different. One event that really pops out in my mind was when I quit basketball in the eleveth grade and I had been playing since the fifth grade. This came as a shock to many people but I just didn't enjoy it anymore. Instead as a Senior I tried out for the Varsity cheerleading wrestling squad. This ended up being a great change. I was with some of my best friends and still felt part of the team! I met alot of great people and don't regret one minute of it. My parents encouraged me to do something that made me happy and this really did.

Posted by: Jessica Tewalt at February 3, 2007 11:30 AM

Everyone has had a time where they've wanted to try something different. For me what sticks out the most is trying new foods. I have never been a picky eater but I have definitely stuck to my usual things. This all changed two years ago when I started dating a vegitarian. So I got excited about trying new things and I have continued doing so. It has turned out great, since I now eat such a variety of things that I had never tried before from refried beans to veggie burgers.

Posted by: Heather Sirois at February 4, 2007 1:37 PM

Posted by: Heather Sirois at February 4, 2007 1:39 PM

My senior year in highschool I really wanted to go out with a bang. So, my mom encouraged me to sing in the talent show in the spring, (to try something new that I hadn't ever done before). I was pretty excited, and thought I'd for sure surprise my friends, because they know I'm not one to stand up in front of a crowd and talk, much less sing. I picked out my song, and started practicing as much as I could, but when it came time to auditions, I froze up. I had a time slot that I was supposed to appear on stage in front of the students (judges) who put it on, and I just didn't go. I skipped the entire thing, because I couldn't get up enough courage to be in front a small group of people. So my fear of speaking/singing in front of people stopped me from pursuing what I really wanted to do, it's kind of disappointing, but life goes on, and I've learned from it.

Posted by: Kaylee Mitchell at February 4, 2007 1:45 PM

Posted by: Kaylee Mitchell at February 4, 2007 1:46 PM

My most recent attempt at trying something new was flying for the first time early last year. I know, I'm kind of a late bloomer when it comes to air travel, but oh well. Anyways, I almost backed out many times between buying the tickets and taking off. I even had a brief moment when I almost decided to leave my husband in the airport and call my sister for a ride! But, I calmed down enough to take that flight and ended up having a wonderful vacation.

Posted by: Sara Hagen at February 5, 2007 11:22 AM

If you know me, you know that I am not one for trying new things. However, last year I was hanging out with some friends I had just met in the dorms. They asked me to go cliff diving. I had never been cliff diving before (especially because I am terrified of heights), but for some reason I wanted to try something new and I said yes. It took me a long time to jump off that cliff, but when I did I loved it. I'm so glad I tried it.

Posted by: Amanda Green at February 11, 2007 9:50 PM

When I was in middle school I went through a phase where I wanted to be a chef. I wanted to be a culinary genius. The next year, eighth grade, I took a foods class. In the foods class our final project was to run a restaurant for the high school students. I was the head chef of the restaurant. Everything was going great for the first few tables. Then I had to make seven orders in a row by myself. I burnt my hand really bad while I had these orders and I was getting flack from the customers about the size of my pancakes. I didn't like the experience at all. I decided after that day that being a chef wasn't for me because of the heat in the kitchen and the heat from the customers. I'm glad I got to do a trial run in my class so I could see if this was the field for me.

Posted by: Ben Bowditch at February 12, 2007 9:33 AM

Posted by: Ben Bowditch at February 12, 2007 9:35 AM

There have been so many times that I can remember that I wanted to try something new. I always told myself I was going to learn how to play the piano. Even after my dad bought me one that showed the hands and fingers to use, I never managed to learn it. I ended up getting to busy with figure skating and cheerleading and so much more. To this day, I still wish I knew how to play the piano.

Posted by: Jennifer Flattum at May 2, 2007 11:15 AM

During high school, I transferred to a new high school and decided to try out for cheerleading. LOL I have never like sports or being in front of people, but I thought that this was something I might like and I figured it would only make me better if I faced my fear of meeting new people and being in front of other people. So I tried out and I made it. I'm really glad that I did it because even though some of my friends still laugh at me for having been a cheerleader;), I learned a lot from the experience. I met some girls who I would have otherwise been too shy to talk to, much less be their friend. I also learned that shyness won't kill me. I can go out in front of other people to perform or whatever, and that panic that I feel will go away. I know now that the feeling that rises up and makes me feel like I can never do this-- that will go away too.

Posted by: Sarah Stewart at May 5, 2007 2:33 PM

One of the effects of shyness is that it stops us from doing what we want to do or if we want to try something new. This may even hinder us from achieving our dreams or goals.

With this effect of shyness, it is best if we overcome it. It could be good to be a bit shy, but we must not let it hinder us from doing what we want or need to do.

Posted by: Effects of Shyness at June 14, 2007 10:21 AM

I always wanted to join programs during high school but I was always shy. Before I join, I must have someone with me so that I won't get shy. Then there are times that I won't be able to join or do something I wanted because no one would accompany me. Later on I had to do something to do what I wanted. I eventually developed self confidence by facing it and fight my shyness.

Increasing confidence can be done in a lot of situations. Even in simpler ones, like approaching someone, I push myself to do it. That was how I increased my confidence, little by little. So if I wanted to do something now, I can do it by being confident and not fear that I may fail. Because I believe that you only fail if you do not try.

Posted by: Increasing Confidence at July 6, 2007 12:20 PM

playing a guitar is something new when you have no music experience.

Guitar lessons online</a

Posted by: mark at January 28, 2008 11:22 AM

Trying something different can sometimes be difficult because we fear that we might fail or that we couldn't do it. But there are things that we really need or like to try but we hesitate to do it. Well, what we need to do is to be positive.

The Sedona Method is a great way to get yourself positive all the time. This will help you try different things and will give you determination to succeed.

Posted by: sedona method at May 12, 2008 12:12 PM

i love this book

Posted by: breanna at March 1, 2009 9:08 AM

great composition... i wrote too.. but try to mix it up with guitars its awesome.

Posted by: jm at February 4, 2010 10:50 PM

I'm 34 and only recently started (slowly) to learn to play a Ukulele and loving it.

Posted by: steven at August 10, 2011 5:27 AM