A Mother's Love | Main | Spectrum of Change

Corruption Collage

final.jpg

By looking at this collage we can see that acts of violence, hatred, and corruption seem to prevail throughout our world. These elements have been a part of our past history and are inescapable. Spend some time analyzing this collage; after doing so you may realize gang violence, hatred, and racist acts exist in your own life. Where and when have you witnessed these devastating acts? What caused these events? How do these events accumulate hatred in our world leading to war?

Posted by at March 7, 2007 9:01 PM | A Wreath for Emmett Till

Coming from a small town and not having very much diversity I definetly saw people get picked on. My senior year some Muslim students came to our school and were singled out by some of the guys that went to our school. For the most part no one bothered them but there were definetly some racist people in our school. I know they got in a fight one day during school and some nasty things were said. If this happened in a small school, I am sure it happens in a much larger scale in other schools. This effects people in the world because if violence like this is already starting in High School it will only get worse the older they grow. Their opinions for the most part won't change unless something is done.

Posted by: Jessica Tewalt at March 20, 2007 4:56 PM

I agree with Jessica in that beliefs learned in youth can be hard to change in adulthood. Like Jessica, I also grew up in a very small, rural town where differences were not accepted. In our town, the way most students reacted to people who were different than themselves was through verbal abuse instead of physical.

Posted by: Sara Hagen at March 20, 2007 8:07 PM

I grew up in a very diverse area for minnesota. I saw people of the same backgrouds staying together forming groups and then they would fight other groups. I think there was a lot more acceptance of people's differences where I lived, but I still don't think it's where it should be. Most people learn to hate others while they are young. They see it as a cultural norm. When they get older it seems to only get worse when entering adulthood.

Posted by: Amanda Green at April 5, 2007 5:22 PM

One afternoon after school had been let out I was going to my car to leave when I heard a lot of commotion in the corner of the parking lot. I ignored it at the time and went on my way. The next day at school I found out that two of my classmates of different races had gotten in a physical fight and one of them had been beaten so badly that he was placed in the hospital. I can't remember now what caused the fight to break out but it doesn't really matter because there is no excuse for what happened. I think that fights like these accumulate toward more hate and causes more fighting because of feeling of wanting revenge and gaining respect. Once you hit someone once it only becomes easier to make the excuse to hit them again.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 17, 2007 10:11 AM

My last couple years in high school was where I saw gangs and some of the hatred hates that take place around them. There was a group of African Americans and Asian Americans that would always be up in one another's face over some petty problem (someone accidently bumped into someone else). What really made me upset about this, was teacher's would let it happen. They knew the two groups didn't try to agree or try to get along, and instead of trying to prevent something from happening, they would let it happen, and then stop it if it got too out of hand. This shows the problems in our world today. They're problems that are going to happen, and instead of trying to prevent it, people let it just happen.

Posted by: Kaylee Mitchell at April 25, 2007 5:12 PM

I personally have not had anything that really stand out in my mind that relates to this book. Through the last of my high school years, my brother was in the Marines. He recently got out and is trying to adjust with "normal" life. He has told me very disturbing stories of the war in Iraq. He saw several people from Iraq shooting at their own because of a disagreement. He was shot by an Iraq over a disagreement and it has been hard for him since to like anyone from the Middle East. With the war in Iraq and people killing people just to prove a point really adds to the hatred in the world, at least I think. People disagree all the time, but most of the people I know, talk through it, not raise a gun to someone's head.

Posted by: Jennifer Flattum at May 2, 2007 11:04 AM

My brother is in 10th grade, and at that age he is trying really hard to fit in. unfortunately, at his school the kids that he wants to hang out with (the kids that like to paintball and 4wheel with him)also happen to be slightly racist. I know that my brother was raised the same way I was, to accept everyone. But it seems lately that his trying to fit in is getting in the way of his being the person he was raised to be. He gets in fights with "the Mexican kids" and other groups that he labels by their race. I have talked to him, along with much of my family, and I think he still believes what he was raised to believe. Unfortunately he is just caught up in hatered that he thinks is needed to fit in at school.

Posted by: Heather Sirois at May 3, 2007 6:47 PM

I went to a very diverse high school in St. Paul where there was no majority in the student population. While I met some of the most inclusive people I have ever encountered during my high school years, I also saw racism from people and in places where you wouldn't really expect it. One example of this is from when I took honors classes. I usually had a couple of honors classes at a time, mixed in with a few regular classes. My honors classes usually consisted of mostly girls, and mostly white and Hmong students. There weren't very many Mexican or African American students in my honors classes, even though they constituted a large part of the student body. It was easy for the people in my classes to look at this and assume things about why those students were not in our honors classes and to make stereotypical and racist comments about those students because they were not there to defend themselves. One thing that they didn't understand was that a lot of the students who were not in our classes were not in there for many reasons which I won't even go into now because it would take awhile.... But I will talk about the things that my classmates said. There was a group of white girls who often called all the other Black or Mexican students "ghetto" and made fun of them and talked about how "stupid" they were. They made fun of how they dressed, did their hair, talked, and acted. There was not a common respect for our differences. While this may not seem like a big deal to some people, I think that's it's a huge deal because it shows not only our lack of respect for each other but our inability to even TOLERATE each other. That's a scary place for us to be.....

Posted by: Sarah Stewart at May 5, 2007 2:19 PM

I can relate to Sara Hagen's comment...

I grew up in Ireland in the late 70s and I was from the UK.
Not a good time growing up I was told to go back to my own country more times then I care to remember and a few more things that I won't go into.
I think over all it's the same the world over...

It is much better now in Ireland and I don't see it here anymore!

pepple need to understand that we are all the same and when they do the world will be a better place for us all...

Posted by: Paintballing Ireland at November 2, 2010 1:01 PM

Thanks, This is exactly what I was looking for.

Posted by: joe tucker at November 15, 2010 4:07 PM

When I was studying in Australia in the '90s there was a time where there was some racisim against Asians. I guess there will always be some form of racism but the best is to try to reduce it as much as we all can.

Posted by: Matthew at November 21, 2010 9:46 AM

Racism is reducing but it's still there...hopefully one day it won't exist anymore.

Posted by: Matthew at November 21, 2010 9:48 AM

Coming from a big city, racism takes different forms. It may not be overt as in some other places but it is there. It takes on new forms.

Posted by: D. Bishop at May 12, 2011 9:50 PM

Racism is eveywhere. Even at painball tournamenets we get trouble sometimes between one group and the other which can erupt into violence. Very bad for the game

Posted by: best paintball barrel at July 30, 2011 3:53 PM

Posted by: best paintball barrel at July 30, 2011 3:54 PM