Little Prince

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

littleprincel.gifFew stories are as widely read and as universally cherished by children and adults alike as The Little Prince. Richard Howard's new translation of the beloved classic-published to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's birth-beautifully reflects Saint-Exupéry's unique and gifted style. Howard, an acclaimed poet and one of the preeminent translators of our time, has excelled in bringing the English text as close as possible to the French, in language, style, and most important, spirit. The artwork in this new edition has been restored to match in detail and in color Saint-Exupéry's original artwork. By combining the new translation with restored original art, Harcourt is proud to introduce the definitive English-language edition of an aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little man from a small planet who describes his adventures in the universe seeking the secret of what is really important in life.

Posted by at 9:23 PM | Fall 2006 | Little Prince

The Planet of the Little Prince

Download file

The litttle prince's planet is perfect for him. If you had a planet out in space that could be your very own, what would it look like? What would be on that planet? What would your daily chores be? What sort of beauty would you take the time to admire?

My planet it made of half water so I can go swimming anytime I please and the other half is grassy hills for me to ride my bike on. The purple dots in the water are little islands I can jump around on. I have one palm tree I have to water daily. I would spend a lot of my time watching the colored stars because from my planet, which is very close to many stars, they look very colorful.

Posted by at 10:53 AM | Little Prince

The Royal Planet

View image

The Little Prince lived a very wholesome life. He tended t his flower and raked the volcanoes. On his journey, the Little Prince met many different people on different planets. I found it interesting to see what each person did on their very own plant. Some only worked with numbers; others only mapped geography but didn't know what his planet looked like. I painted a piece with many different planets. If I could be royalty for any planet, my planet would be full of candles, books, trees, and coffee. I would sit under trees and drink coffee while reading a great book. This would be my Utopia. What would your planet look like or what would you spend your time doing?

Posted by at 9:50 AM | Little Prince

What's Really Important?

Download file

The Little Prince is completely innocent when he leaves his planet. His main worries are his flower and volcanoes because he loves them and feels a responsibility towards them. He encounters grown-ups who are way too focused on numbers and other things that don’t really matter and he doesn’t understand why they are like that. When do you think we lose our innocence and start to focus on things like money and success? How does society influence the things we care about?

Posted by at 3:55 PM | Little Prince

Responsibility of the Little Prince

Download file

The Little Prince is a novela by Antoine de Saint-Exupery about a mysterious young prince who shows up inexplicably on planet Earth. He shares his journeys and the knowledge he has gained with a stranger and they become close friends. One piece of wisdoms he imparts on the unsuspecting stranger is something he learned from the fox which states: "One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." This particular quote is the basis for my video.
How would you interpret this quote? How can you apply this quote to your own life?

by: Amanda Powers

Posted by at 4:27 PM | Little Prince

Beauty in the Breakdown

View image

This summer my Grandma's journey on Earth ended. Right before she died, unexpectedly, she told me and my Mom not to be afraid, because we would always be reminded of her. My picture is a collage of her life, her journey, along with a quote that, I think, fits her life. There is much beauty in the breakdown of the human life and body. My question to you is, do we appreciate that breakdown enough to move on to the next place or do we fear the breakdown because we can't see the beauty in it?

Posted by at 4:48 PM | Little Prince

Beauty in the Breakdown

View image

Posted by at 4:48 PM | Little Prince

Slow Down

In the story The Little Prince one of the main messages was to learn what's important in life. The story spoke of how easy it is to get caught up with life and "run in circles". It's easy to lose perspective when there is such a busy world around us. How do you regain your perspective? What do you do when your stressed out and just need an escape?

Download file

Anna Hoffman and Jayme Bennett

Posted by at 8:01 PM | Little Prince