Blog 12

I remember that we always had a turkey, a ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet corn, usually a mixed veggie plate, bread, an apple pie and a pumpkin pie.  My mom definitely "performed her gender role" and made all the food...but as soon as my parents divorced we no longer had Thanksgiving dinner.  The last time we planned to have Thanksgiving dinner together was roughly 2006 when I came home from school and we were going to go to the $30 Radisson Hotel dinner so she did not have to cook.

I feel like the food for Thanksgiving is somewhat culturally American...in that I mean mass media produced, anyone and everyone trying to earn a buck from grocery stores to HOTELS serving a dinner.  I think the class aspect comes in through advertising...everyone who has cable cannot help but see advertisements for specials on Thanksgiving food and commercials about families coming together to hang out and watch football.  The class aspect as those who can afford TV...but I also believe that the media has made it "unacceptable" to be alone for Thanksgiving...why would you want to spend that day alone when you should be making dinner with your family and overeating?

I think this year is going to be the first since I was 16 that I'm going to have dinner (not consisting of Thanksgiving food however)...with a friend who doesn't celebrate holidays but feels like she shouldn't be alone either.