Blog #1 Chapter 5

Chapter 5 deals mostly with conscious states of being. They talked about Sleeping, Dreaming and they also touched upon Drugs and their effect on us. I guess what struck home the most for me, in this chapter, was the section about substance abuse, specifically alcohol. I think this part is most pertinent, and to college students especially. I have done some shadowing at the St. Cloud Hospital and there is a time in specific, which stands out to me. We rounded on a patient in the Cardiac Care Unit, which essentially is the ICU for Cardiac problems. He had been admitted because he had, had a cardiac arrest and was without a pulse for about a minute before his wife had gotten his heart to start beating again. He was doing okay, and making good strides the first day or so and then he started to go through delirium tremens, or alcohol withdrawal. He was completely disoriented, and it was a little unnerving to say the least. He was buying a new bottle of scotch every third day, so if you do the math, that is a lot of alcohol.