« Opposition wants Nigerian vote annulled | Main | Georgian school holds its first integrated prom »

Teen fatally shot on Metro Transit bus in downtown St. Paul

A St. Paul teenager was shot and killed on a Metro Transit bus in downtown St. Paul early Sunday, according to the Associated Press (http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_5727317?nclick_check=1). The shooting followed a dispute between two groups of young people on the bus.
After one group got off, a young man shot through the rear access door and hit a 16-year-old in the chest. The victim's name has not been released.
According to a security recording, the suspect is in his late teens, and was wearing a white T-shirt and dark, baggy pants. He is currently at large.
The shooting happened at Fifth and Sibley Street. St. Paul and Metro Transit officers were investigating.
According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the shooting happened on Route 74 (http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1136728.html). Police are not sure whether the violence is gang-related nor do they know the details of the dispute. This incident is the third serious violent attack on a Metro Transit bus since early March. Metro Transit Police Chief Dave Indrehus said Metro Transit hasn't seen this kind of violence in years and that it reflects the life on the streets. He also said they are increasing security by adding more police and improving security camera systems.

The biggest difference between these articles I want to discuss is the mention of race. In the description of the suspect, the Tribune says the suspect is black, while the AP story omits this. I do not like when race is brought into a story when it is not needed, and I think the media unevenly focuses on predominantly black, inner-city violence. That being said, I think the race of the suspect is very important here because the suspect is at large and police need all the information they can get. I also liked how the Tribune put the story in the wider context of recent violence on Metro Transit buses. The Tribune story was also more detailed, giving the Bus Route number and also giving a better description of the events, although stopping short of a chronology. The quotes from Indrehus were also very interesting and provided an interesting viewpoint on street violence and bus security.