« London Plane Crash Kills Five | Main | Scientist Says Cell Phones are More Dangerous than Smoking »

Guthrie's Architect Wins Highest Prize

Jean Nouvel, the French architect who designed Minneapolis' Guthrie Theater won the Pritzker Prize on Sunday. According to an article in the Star Tribune, Nouvel received architecture's highest honor in large for his part in the new theater. "The honor, comparable to a Nobel Prize, came in no small part from his work on the blue-clad complex in Minneapolis' mill district, Nouvel's first U.S. project," the article said.
"Nouvel joins Frank Gehry, Tadao Ando and I.M. Pei in receiving the top honor in the field in recognition of his high-rises, museums and performance halls around the world," said and AP article in the Pioneer Press.
Both articles said that Nouvel will receive a $100,000 prize, and that he has worked on over 200 projects, mostly in Europe.
According the the Star Tribune, the Guthrie is the fifth building in Minneapolis to be designed by a Pritzker winner. The others include the IDS tower, an addition made to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, The Weisman Art Museum and an addition made to the Walker Arts Center.
"I cannot imagine this building in Paris or in New York City," he said in the Star Tribune article. "It would be ridiculous. It is completely linked to the specifics of the program, the situation, the dialogue with existing buildings and the river. And it is for me great memories."