Song Choice

10 Why Do Kamikaze Pilots Wear Helmets_.m4a

The song that I chose is titled, "Why Do Kamikaze Pilots Wear Helmets", by The Red Light Sting.

Lyrics:
Hiding our heads in the sand won't help us with these problems we have.
Time is running out, my dear.
One minute to go! Sound the alarm.
I can't hear anything but the sound of my heart racing, and then comes the impact.

Promotional Piece Titled "Class NY"

View image

Class NY is the title that I chose for this font. It plays off the idea of the characters in "The Great Gatsby" doing their best to be the perfect class, yet they can't attain it because they are human.

Pieces Of My Type

View image

Here are the different letter pieces of my font. I'm still not pleased with the lowercase letters, so I'll be reworking them.

Lowercase Letters

I had a tough time deciding which direction to go with the lowercase letters. The uppercase letters have a bold quality to them, and I don't know if the lowercase should reflect that or cower in it.

View image

Uppercase Letters

These are my sketches for the uppercase letters. The clean, perfect lines that are usually seen in Art Deco fonts now have bends, stroke differences, and other imperfections. The characters in The Great Gatsby tried to be perfect in every way, but every human is going to fail at absolute perfection.

View image

9/11 Sketches

9/11 Sketches

Recent Influences

In the past year, I've been very interested in the deconstruction genre. Last semester I began incorporating this influence into my own work. If ever there was a niche that I would fall into, this would be it.

I've always felt a nostalgic love for the design of the 1990s. It's not just the "oh I remember that show" or "yeah I had ripped jeans and flannel too." It's more of a desire to surround myself with it. I can't really describe the feeling. It's something dark, something distorted, but not the typical grungy textures and eroded text.

I know there was a variety of design going on in the 90s, but what stands out to me is work by artists such as David Carson and April Greiman. The type created by Emigre also has a certain vibe to it, quite possibly because Carson and Greiman heavily used them.

As my research continues, my range of favorite artists and genres grow. This past spring semester I was into nothing but deconstruction. Over the fall, my love expanded to encompass new media art, such as net art. Artists like Cory Arcangel, AmbientTV, StereosWebFunk, and Paper Rad have shown me how bitmap and glitches can add a flare to art. It's something that I feel I've always wanted to do but never known how to. Now, I've come across even more artists that share my love for the distorted and dark. They include Andy Dixon, Nick Briz, Evan Meaney, Jon Satrom, and Kokofreakbean.

I have high hopes for this spring semester. The work that I'm going to do in this class should be some of my best yet.

Links
David Carson
April Greiman

Cory Arcangel
AmbientTV
StereosWebFunk
Paper Rad

Andy Dixon
Nick Briz
Evan Meaney
Jon Satrom
Kokofreakbean

If you would like to see more artists that fall under these styles, let me know.