Week One Blog

Hello everyone!
First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Diana Nelson and I am a freshman here at the U. I’ve always been interested in interior spaces, arranging things in such ways to make life a little easier and more convenient, so with that in mind I decided to jump right into my major of interior design. Besides my love for interior design and design in general I love sports of all kinds. At my high school I played volleyball and softball for all four years. As of now I’m not really involved in anything but I’m trying to look for activities and clubs to join at the U because I love having a busy and well rounded schedule.

I’m not quite sure what will come out of this class or what the range of ideas will be but I’m hoping that we will have a lot of discussions and different readings. I love to hear what other people have to say about these types of big ideas such as gender, power and everyday life, I mean what can’t you cover! I had a class I took my senior year called theory of knowledge and I really enjoyed it so I’m hoping this will be a bit similar. We discussed a lot of the big questions/subjects and kind of the why of everything and how it came to be like that.

When I first think of gender I of course think of male and female, but I think that we are always comparing the two. Think of how many times in a day we think “Oh it would be so much easier to be a guy…? (well if you’re a girl, we think that). But those thoughts seem to be on just a day to day basis. Other subjects such as power go hand in hand with gender. Think of the people who hold positions of power and even what duties or jobs are typically seen as male jobs or female jobs/careers. So many ideas come to mind when thinking of gender, power, and everyday life, I can’t wait to see what kinds of readings or discussions we will have!