« Blog #7 Title Pages | Main | Volunteer Journal #3 »

Blog #8

Ensure Environmental Sustainability

When I think of environmental sustainability, I think of green living and conserving our resources. The group that presented on Monday really expanded my views on the subject. I loved that they covered several topics about sustainability. The web was a good presentation idea because sustainability can be expanded into many forms. Although it was a unique idea, it was very hard to follow. I did like that it was much more interactive for the viewer though.
This group covered the goals of the UN very well. These goals include:

1. Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programs; reverse loss of environmental resources

2. Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss

3. Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water

4. Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020

I really enjoyed the part of the presentation that focused on water. We all know that water if an important part of our lives but we really don't appreciate it as much as other cultures do. It is easy for us to just turn on a faucet and have clean drinking water; many people do not have this luxury and we take it completely for granted.
WomenCarryingPotsDesert.jpg
water_faucet.jpg

This group made great points about being environmentally sustainable in your daily lives. I loved the idea of planting your own garden, purchasing sustainable items, reusing furniture, and voluntary simplicity. America is driven by consumers and we are the number one contributer to global warming because of our actions. I really liked how they brought up the idea of educating children on the issue. If they learn these things young, it will have a better chance of sticking with them in the future. They will develop healthier and more environmentally friendly habits that will lead to a better world. Overall, this group did a great job presenting and covering several topics within their UN Millennium Development Goal. It was well presented and interesting!