Brace yourselves...Winter is coming!!

Winter. Second only to road-construction in nearly every state in the midwest. While the snow is gone, all the potholes get fixed. And while the snow is here, it seems like the potholes multiply and grow in diameter. Such is life in the midwest. Ridiculousness.

When I think of winter, I think of digging my car out of the snow. I think of a slightly nice enough day where I can wear shorts, but still wear my parka. You know you're from the midwest when you do that on a regular basis.
Here in MPLS, winter is a challenge and a blessing. It just depends on the day...

To start the assignment on mind mapping & silly ideas, I watched How I Met Your Mother to get the creative/ comedic juices flowing.
(Note to self, bad idea, will end up watching multiple, multiple episodes)
Maybe something more straight comedy, like Who's Line, might have done more for creativity. Next time.

Directly after finishing all of season 9, I came up with the mind map in the picture shown:

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 12.15.15 PM.jpg

It may not be the most extensive mind map, but the connections are, I feel, valid. The placement of the arrows (as compared to just lines) shows that I thought of something for topic B that fit really well with topic A. Arrow heads point to the thing I thought of first, "pointing" to the original subtopic. Some of the farthest out strings are written just to add some closure to the path, so as to tell myself not to keep mapping any further away from "Winter".

Taking on the major subtopics and creating 10 Cross-Products, I have come up with as follows:

1. Christmas-tree Hats

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.18.00 PM.jpg

2. Specialty Snow-people making mittens

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.18.39 PM.jpg

3. A New Years Party hat with a hockey mask incase things get rough at the turn of the new year...

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.18.29 PM.jpg

4. Socks that sing to you as you put them on/take them off. Maybe even while you walk!

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.18.15 PM.jpg

5. A decorative wreath (hung on a door) that can temporarily hide a bottle of Eggnog, so the other people in the house cannot drink it. (I really like eggnog, if you couldn't tell).

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.18.54 PM.jpg

6. A flavor of gum that tastes like, yep you guessed it, EGGNOG!

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.19.07 PM.jpg

7. Under snow lights controlled by a computer so you can light up a design to a matrix of lights from below

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.19.18 PM.jpg

8. A phone case - cookie dispenser. I doubt any further explanation is needed...

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.19.40 PM.jpg

9. A stocking cap with a built-in head lamp. Rids yourself of one more item to put on for your morning commute.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.33.51 PM.jpg

10. A mug that sings to (christmas carols) you when you empty it, reminding you to refill your cup!
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.19.53 PM.jpg

I like this assignment a lot. It makes you think of more ideas that you are used to. Makes you think of things that are not even feasible at this point and diving in head first into coming up with that next Great Idea.
My three favorite sub-themes from this assignment are Holiday decorations, Snow removal, and Traditional holiday foods.

Let's see what's in store for this week and Target headquarters. I can't wait!

This blog post was put together very well. I especially liked your mind map. I thought that you covered a variety of topics while staying somewhat close to the topic of "winter." Even though, the arrows seem to go everywhere on it and make it a bit harder to look at, the connections that you made are also helpful in rounding the whole thing off.

I liked your ideas a lot. They all fit into the idea of winter, except the cookie phone case. It's a great idea (I definitely want cookies coming out of my phone) but I didn't think of winter when I saw it at first, but I was able to trace it back through your connections on your mind map. I think your first idea, the "Christmas Tree Hat" is a great idea also. I do think that it might have been possible to evolve it a bit more and possibly not have the tree trunk as part of the hat. It might look a little bit more natural if the tree fit to the person's head instead of looking like they were balancing a tree on their head. I was also a little confused about the "EZ Snowman Mittens." I wasn't entirely sure if they were mittens that you put on a snowman or if they were used to make a snowman. If they are mittens that don't get wet when you are trying to make a snowman, that's awesome. Some more information might have been needed there.

Overall, I think you did a good job on this assignment. I really like the idea of "Bright Snow, Light Show!" Snow is already beautiful but this idea could take it to the next level, so cool! I also really liked the "Woolen Singing Socks," I wish those were real so I could have them.

Your mind map was well done, and your ideas were clearly illustrated. I really liked the led snow display, and I think that could be an actual thing. Personally, I thought the cookies fit in, because one often associates winter with Christmas with cookies. Made sense to me! Overall, your products were fun and I enjoyed taking a look at them.

I think it would have been useful to see more of what your thought process was with each product. I felt the post was a little lacking there, though I could have figured it out from the mind map. What methods you used to brainstorm and so on. Other than that, everything was pretty clear.

I like you share your winter experience with us at the beginning of the blog, including the road construction, the car issue, the cloth and the snow. And your mind map really explores the things related to the winter. The drawing on the mind map helps locate the subtheme, however, if you could add some color on the mind map, it maybe more easier to read through, and the subtheme can more stand out. And also, if there are more visual signs this mind map will be perfect. Your explanation also helps me understand how your mind flows. I also like your ten ideas, especially The Remind A Cup and the phone case. It seems like you still enjoy our cookie assignment. As Barry mentioned in the lecture, if you can format your picture a little bit, the blog will looks more professional. By the way, I also like How I Met Your Mother.