Winter. Second only to road-construction in nearly every state in the midwest. While the snow is gone, all the potholes get fixed. And while the snow is here, it seems like the potholes multiply and grow in diameter. Such is life in the midwest. Ridiculousness.
When I think of winter, I think of digging my car out of the snow. I think of a slightly nice enough day where I can wear shorts, but still wear my parka. You know you're from the midwest when you do that on a regular basis.
Here in MPLS, winter is a challenge and a blessing. It just depends on the day...
To start the assignment on mind mapping & silly ideas, I watched How I Met Your Mother to get the creative/ comedic juices flowing.
(Note to self, bad idea, will end up watching multiple, multiple episodes)
Maybe something more straight comedy, like Who's Line, might have done more for creativity. Next time.
Directly after finishing all of season 9, I came up with the mind map in the picture shown:
It may not be the most extensive mind map, but the connections are, I feel, valid. The placement of the arrows (as compared to just lines) shows that I thought of something for topic B that fit really well with topic A. Arrow heads point to the thing I thought of first, "pointing" to the original subtopic. Some of the farthest out strings are written just to add some closure to the path, so as to tell myself not to keep mapping any further away from "Winter".
Taking on the major subtopics and creating 10 Cross-Products, I have come up with as follows:
1. Christmas-tree Hats
2. Specialty Snow-people making mittens
3. A New Years Party hat with a hockey mask incase things get rough at the turn of the new year...
4. Socks that sing to you as you put them on/take them off. Maybe even while you walk!
5. A decorative wreath (hung on a door) that can temporarily hide a bottle of Eggnog, so the other people in the house cannot drink it. (I really like eggnog, if you couldn't tell).
6. A flavor of gum that tastes like, yep you guessed it, EGGNOG!
7. Under snow lights controlled by a computer so you can light up a design to a matrix of lights from below
8. A phone case - cookie dispenser. I doubt any further explanation is needed...
9. A stocking cap with a built-in head lamp. Rids yourself of one more item to put on for your morning commute.
10. A mug that sings to (christmas carols) you when you empty it, reminding you to refill your cup!
I like this assignment a lot. It makes you think of more ideas that you are used to. Makes you think of things that are not even feasible at this point and diving in head first into coming up with that next Great Idea.
My three favorite sub-themes from this assignment are Holiday decorations, Snow removal, and Traditional holiday foods.
Let's see what's in store for this week and Target headquarters. I can't wait!