Main | Andrew Keen »

The First Three Weeks...

As I write this, we are finishing up our third week of lectures. Discussions so far have mostly been historical in nature, examining and discussing the general development of technology. While I know this is pretty much filler for the discussions we'll have later in the semester, I was extremely interested in learning the history of public use. It's fascinating to look back and see how much has changed in such a little amount of time - moving from records to 8-track tapes to cassettes to CDs to digital music in 30 years, etc. I think it will provide a good sense of perspective as we move forward. Things change quickly when a new technology catches on, and that trend continues to this day.

One interesting thing I've found is how McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message" has directly tied into every topic we've covered since reading it. This is particularly obvious when we look at Internet sensations like YouTube, which blends McLuhan's concept of hot and cool media like nothing else. The article "It Should Happen to You" also raises some interesting points about the increasingly hectic and fast-paced nature of fame. 15 minutes of fame used to mean getting on television for an unusual reason. Now it's more like 15 seconds of fame because of the waves of YouTube sensations that seem to hit every week.