Assignment 6

1.Marketable
Since I found a little time in my break, I went to Starbucks and school to do my survey. The result turns out a lot different from what I thought. Surprisingly, no one chose my number 8 idea. Here is my chart for the survey:

survey chart.png

Heat panel bike
Average price people will pay: $350
substitute.jpg

Cup with thermometer
Average price people will pay: $15.5
thermometer cup-thumb-500x375-177539.jpg

Glove with color injector
Average price people will pay: $25
glove color-thumb-500x375-177541.jpg

Scarf that is thicker in the middle
Average price people will pay: $22
scarf-thumb-500x375-175075.jpg

Jacket with pulled up mask
Average price people will pay: $120
Jacket-thumb-500x375-177551.jpg

2.Novel (2x2 chart)
All of these chart are made after research of available products on the market. Therefore, they conclude market potential that fit all of these products.
Bike with heat panel: categorize with technology and price.
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.48.32 AM.png

Cup with attached thermometer: categorize with material weight and reaction to temperature change ability
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.49.58 AM.png

Glove with color ejector: categorize with how thick the glove is and technology involvement
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.49.38 AM.png

Scarf that is thicker in the middle: categorize with price and how thick the scarf is
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.49.24 AM.png

Jacket with pulled up mask: categorize with price and whether it cover face or not
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.49.47 AM.png

Patent search
It was a tough process to really search for existing patent. I had to do it very carefully with no trace of what I really was looking for. As nothing familiar show up, I keep doubting myself that I didn't do the research good enough. Finally, after a long time spending on researching patent, I found something familiar, but not entirely.

Bike:
A patent for tires with hot air inside: 849,335
Cup: 5,588,747
Glove: 8,395,109
Scarf: D693,096
Jacket: D285,609

3. Feasibility
Bike
-Concern: what material of the heat panel is, what type of energy will it has( thinking solar or electricity)
-Rough manufacturing cost: $16. With electricity charger or solar panel: it might add up to $20
Cup
-Concern: how to make it different from others, attach thermometer without worrying about leaking mercury.
-Rough manufacturing cost: $3
Glove
-Concern: what type of sensor would be best for this design
-Rough manufacturing cost: $7
Scarf
-Concern: what material should be used for the thicker part?( thinking of omni heat technology, feather, or leather)
-Rough manufacturing cost: $8
Jacket
-Concern: none
-Rough manufacturing cost: $9

It’s clear that you completed the assignment and researched your ideas, but your documentation is hard to follow. Your 2x2’s are separated from their relevant ideas, so I found myself unnecessarily scrolling back and forth. Your 2x2’s lack prices and distinguishing features. Including links to the patents you found or giving a short description would be helpful to your readers. Describing how you calculated your cost estimates would be informative.

Also, some of your 2x2 axes are binary and might benefit from a spectrum of possibility.

My favorite part of the blog post is the clarity of your images and your crisp sketches.

It was a bit hard to tell how you arrived at your costs and its partly why I'm skeptical of the bike heater. A good addition would have been to do an energy estimation for how much energy it would take to melt snow while biking and seeing if that is even energy feasible.

It's good that you added pictures of your top objects so that people unfamiliar with your blog could quickly catch up. I would have liked to hear more insight as to how you conducted your surveys like did you just show pictures, what did you ask, etc. Also for the jacket it looks like the mask extension already exists on the market, if you pick it you need to decide how to distinguish it from others, it would also be good to get more details on the price of these competitors.

I liked the bar graph of your data, but it would have been nice to make it a bit more obvious which idea was which, either by putting the name of the idea, or a picture next to each bar. You could also try organizing the bars from highest to lowest, similar to what Barry does in his class slides when he discusses data.

Your 2x2's were clean and easy to read. You did not include prices, but so far I haven't seen anybody who actually did do that (including myself), so that's a very minor point.

I agree with hafte004 about the bike pricing, and that an energy estimation might have been useful. Also, providing hyperlinks to the actual patents would have been very helpful, since we cannot tell what the patent actually is by looking at the number, and that forces us to enter the number into a patent search manually if we want to read them.