June 30th

Good Morning,

It's great to read all the comments on the U of M 4-H Summer Intern blog! Thanks for checking it out and adding comments. Please feel free to send me any suggestions for the question of the week. I will be looking for any ideas or suggestions, which would be valuable to you as an intern.

The final National 4-H Mission Mandate that will be featured relates to Youth Leadership. As most of you know, there are many opportunities for youth of all ages to have a leadership role in 4-H programs. Whether you are a younger member taking on a role with your clubs service learning project or serving as an officer, there is certainly a need for leadership. The statewide 4-H Youth Leadership Initiative team has been working together since January 2007. During this time we have researched many publications, developed core competencies, and are in the process of setting up a pilot program for youth leadership this fall. We will also be working with the Grow Green Leadership trips at the MN State Fair, as well as Youth Leadership conference judging. If you have any questions regarding the MN 4-H Youth Leadership initiative, feel free to contact Brian McNeill at mcnei006@umn.edu or myself. Brian and I co-chair this team.

This weeks question:

What types of programs are you doing in the area of Youth Leadership?

Have a great week and enjoy the 4th of July!

Nancy

June 24th

Hello,

I hope your 4-H summer internship is going well. It's hard to beleive that summer just actually started over the weekend and the days will start to get shorter already. I really enjoy to extended light time during this month. I could do without the bugs, however that is part of living in MN.

As I mentioned last week, the blog will focus on the Mission Mandates from National 4-H Council for the next couple of weeks. Each Mission Mandate has a statewide team working to design, develop, and implement programs in each area. Last week, the question focused on SET. There weren't a lot of comments last week, so if you have questions regarding SET work, please contact the statewide educator working with SET progamming, Katie Clarke. Katie has an office at the Worthington Regional Office and would be glad to talk with you about SET programming.

This week we will focus on the Healthy Living Mission Mandate. This mandate can encompass a lot of the work we do in 4-H Youth Development, especially in foods/nutrition and health and safety. Donna Geiser (Fergus Falls) and Kim Asche (Hutchinson) are the contacts for the statewide team.

What types of programming are you doing this summer related to Healthy Living?

Have a great day!

Nancy Hegland

June 16th

Good Morning,

It is great to see all the comments on the blog! Thanks for sharing with each other. It is really important to ask questions during your summer internship experience. As I think back to the year that I served as a summer intern in Wisconsin, I wish I would have asked more questions about the 4-H program and Extension. Make the time to talk with the P rogram Coordinators, Extension Educators in 4-H Youth Development, and other Extension Educators at the Regional Offices.

As you may know, National 4-H has identified 3 Mission Mandates for 4-H Programming. They are Science, Engineering, and Technology, Healthy Living, and Citizenship/Leadership. For the next three weeks, the question of the week will focus on each Mission Mandate.

This weeks question:

What types of programs are you doing around Science, Engineering, and Technology?

Enjoy the great weather!

Nancy Hegland

Welcome to Summer!

I believe it will actually be warm today, so summer must be here! It's a good thing, since camps are starting and it is the week for YELLO. I am in the process of adding interns to the list of authors, so please email me with the email address you will be using this summer. I have a few of them, but want to get them all included, so you can post messages. Anyone can add a comment to the blog. It will indicate that it will need to be approved, which I will do as soon as I get the message.

This weeks question for discussion is:

What is one activity you are planning for either day or resident camp this summer?

1st Week in June

Hello,

It is the first week in June! Some of the interns have been on the job a couple of weeks, while others are just starting or will start next week. Each week there will be a new question, which we will discuss on the blog. If you have suggestions for the question, please email me at nhegland@umn.edu.

The question for this week is:

What have you found most surprising about your summer intern role?

I look forward to reading your comments!

Have a great day!

Nancy Hegland