Is The Pain Really There?

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have an amputated limb? Many war heroes from Afghanistan, Vietnam, etc. have suffered life-altering injuries that most of us could not even begin to fathom. The Lilienfield text discusses the "Phantom Limb Illusion", a psychological phenomenon of a feeling pain in the missing limb. According to the text, "the missing limb often feels as if it's in an uncomfortably distorted position."

I think this theory is important because it shows how much our mind messes with us. Most of us hallucinate a lot, feel things that aren't really there, and make up things in our mind. This has a lot to do with perception, and how many times our brain fills in missing information that makes sense during the stages of transmission and processing. The majority of the people in the world don't know what it is like to have an amputated limb, therefore when the situation actually occurs, they don't know how to feel.

An old friend from my school had an amputated leg. As I saw him attach his plastic leg everyday, a sense of shock and discomfort overwhelmed me. How would I feel if I were in his position? Why did this happen to him? Wouldn't that just be awful to be missing a leg? Wouldn't it feel weird? I think all of these questions have to do with why our brain fills in missing information. We hear things, see things, and all of these are tied into how we eventually feel as if we are supposed to feel. I just wish I could talk to someone and get more research on the phantom limb illusion so I could get more in depth as to what actually happens.

Pictures: (computer wouldn't let me attach them)

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/Yourbrain/Whatareyoursenses/~/media/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/A/Aphantomlimbcanmakeiteasiertouseanartificialone1-1-2-3-6-0-0-0-0-0-0.jpg

http://fidelityorthopedic.com/images/phantompain_2.jpg