Social Psychology-- how to be wise in social networking.

oops.jpgMy favorite area in psychology is social psychology. Social psychology is a discipline that uses scientific methods "to understand and explain how the thought, feeling and behavior of individuals are influenced by the actual, imagined or implied presence of other human beings" (Gordon Allport, 1985). It helps us how to keep relations with others, which is extremely important in our daily social networking.

One concept enlightened me in the Lilienfeld text is belief perseverance. The belief perseverance is a trap that even when evidences deny the belief we hold before, we will still prone to keep it. We are reluctant to admit our error, especially in front of the public. Sometimes we even spend time on it just because we don't want to be proved wrong; it makes us feel embarrassed. Perhaps every one has fallen prey onto it.

Let's put ourselves in others' shoes. A person's reflection and behavior will be influenced by social environment and group interaction, both in positive and negative ways. If we point out others' mistake publicly, it may lead to an endless debate, and obviously, it will also hurt others' self-esteem. In this situation, our opinions will be difficult to be accepted. What's more, we will look unfriendly and impolite. Therefore, keep in mind, next time if you want to indicate someone else's mistake, pointing it out publicly will never be wise.

I think the process of studying psychology is the one to do self-analysis and self-reflection. I can look through myself deeper than before by using scientific thinking method. Only when I understand my weakness can I improve myself in proper way.