Here's a Little Love Story

Here's a little love story, in honor of the recent Fifth of November and the movie commemorating its ideas, "V for Vendetta". Now, in this post I'm not going to talk about the radically political actions of the ideas represented in the movie. Rather, I intend to write on the relationship between the figure "V" and Evey Hammond. Following will be a brief iteration of a few of the ways these two seemingly opposite characters ended up falling in love throughout the movie - yes, it's not ALL cool knife-throwing and enticing plot advancements! (SPOILER for those of you who haven't seen the movie!)

VforV.jpg

In the beginning, there was V, the "terrorist", and Evey, the upstanding citizen who would like nothing less than to live a normal drama-free life. However, these two seemingly opposite characters right off the bat hit up the proximity issue for relationships when Even is forced to live with V in his home, since V was reluctant to leave Evey alone after she saved his life (I'm skipping over some major plot points here for the sake of sticking to what's relevant to the blog post, so bear with me here). They lived together for several months, and over this time a noticeable change between at the very least extreme distaste became a semblance of a friendship. In essence, after spending so much time together they realized that their tear-rivers were little more than some squishy mud that didn't require so much fuss and they weren't so different after all.

Which brings me to my next point, in that these characters weren't really as different as they seemed, and also breaches another relationship issue in that Like attracts Like. Though at first different, you later discover that both have strong bad memories about the government haunting their pasts, though Evey seems to have buried hers deeply only to be drawn out by V himself. Through these experiences the two characters bonded giving them both a strong want, possibly a need, to help change their country and fix the issues it has. Though this incredibly strong need, and therefore a strong similarity, their friendship grew into love.

These are just two examples the demonstrate the ideas about relationship mentioned in the Lilienfeld text. I could go on, but the post would get exceedingly long. Now if only everyone's relationship could start out with the cannon BANG of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture