Recently in DS make-up writing Category

Punishments

I know there might be a lot of differences between my country China and the US as a result of culture difference, including when they are trying to educate children.
I have been experienced teachers punish students. Chinese teachers are really strict towards students, and they punish kids when they do something wrong or they don't reach the expectation. I used to have a classmate when I was in middle school. She was just so normal. She never performed outstanding at schoolwork, she was not pretty, and she kind of awkward when she was communicating with others. That's why she never gave brilliant impressions to teachers. Every time she performed badly in exams, our teachers punished her--they spanked her. What happened to her is she never perform well in the middle school, she was always awkward to make friends so she never had one, and our teachers never liked her.
Years later I happened to met her another time. Surprisingly, she was pretty outgoing and had a great sense of humor, and she was one of the best students in her high school class then and about to go to college in Japan. When we talked about middle school, she told me that she also treated herself as an awkward and not smart student as our teachers used to treat her, and she had spent a really long time to rebuild confidence.
Skinner and others talked about the disadvantages of punishment. Punishments don't teach people what to do, and creates serious mental problem such as anxiety. In my classmate's example, punishments killed her confidence and our teacher just told her she was a bad student and never offered any help.
It's a little sad to tell this story because there are still a lot of kids who are suffering such negative things in my country. I believe that it will be better if people stop using punishments and use reinforcement, and really offer help.

How to Blog

Apparently, many of you had questions and/or problems trying to post the first writing assignment to the blog. To those of you who figured it out: congrats! But for those of you who haven't posted blog 1 yet (roughly half of you) or ran into some issues, here is a refresher.

First, you should post your entry to our section's site (Section 23 PSY1001 Fall 2011). You do not have to create your own blog, but if you did, I commend you on your effort! To be able to post entries, you have to log into the library's UThink web site. Once you are logged in, you will come to a screen called "Dashboard." At the top of this page, there is a "System Overview" pull-down menu. From that menu, you should choose our section's site. That will take you to a new page; on that page, you should go to the "Create" pull-down menu and select "Entry." Then, start writing!

A few helpful tips...

• In order to post a picture, you need to have the picture saved in some way first. Then, go to the spot in your entry where you roughly would like the picture. Click on the "Insert Image Icon" (the one that sort of looks like a house with a sun over it; second from the right on the toolbar). Follow the directions from there...

• To insert a link as text, copy the link location. (I find it easiest to have the link open in another tab or window to do this.) Highlight the text that you would like to use as the link. Then, click on the link icon on the toolbar (looks like a chain), paste your link in the box and go from there.

• To embed video, you have two options. (1) Insert the video as a link, using the above directions for inserting a link as text. (2) Actually embed the video (you'll see a still of the video in your finished entry). To do this, whatever system you use (e.g., YouTube), should have a "share" option. Click on this and you should be able to either get the HTML code for linking to the video or a button that says "Embed." If you click on "Embed," you will get the HTML code that you need to cut and paste into your entry to embed the video.

NOTE: for links, pictures, and video, you will NOT see the images in the "Create Entry" box. To make sure you've done things correctly, you should preview your entry before publishing it. Once you've saved, your entry will be published, unless you have "Draft" selected in the Published window to the left of the Create Entry box. If you write in draft mode, be sure that you eventually publish your entry so that you can received credit!

To those of you who have not published yet, get those posts up ASAP. Be sure to categorize your entry as "Writing 1." Writing 2 is due next Sunday night (10/9)! The prompts are the same as Writing 1, but you have not had much new material since the last writing was due. Therefore, you may include sensation and perception concepts, as well as consciousness, if you choose the first option (see syllabus for prompt or my earlier post about writing 1). Good luck and please let me know if you run into any problems or have any questions!

Update: A student from another section posted this very nice explanation on how to blog. If you are a visual learner, this has step-by-step pictures to guide you through the process. (Keep in mind that you need to post to our section's blog and not to Section 24's!)

This page is an archive of recent entries in the DS make-up writing category.

Writing 1 is the next category.