Identical Twins Living Identical Lives

The first thing that caught my eye in Chapter 14 was a paragraph on a pair of identical twins separated at birth. Both twins were named "Jim" by their adoptive parents, constructed similar looking tree-houses as children, named their dogs "Toy," and married twice, both to women named Betty and Linda. After reading this story, I was interested in learning more about twins. Chapter 14 focuses on personalities, and the first part of the chapter is centered on twins. In this section I found it remarkable that the correlation of many personality traits between both identical and fraternal twins remains the same regardless if they are raised together or apart.

Barbertwins.jpeg

Twin NFL football players, Tiki and Ronde Barber

Towards the end of the chapter, common pitfalls of personality tests are discussed. Many people claim to be able to determine an individual's personality with various tests. Graphology (handwriting interpretation), criminal profiling, and color tests are all said to be able to assess someone's personality, yet they are not very accurate in doing so. The FBI hires criminal profilers to catch criminals, but they can only do so much. One former FBI profiler was in charge of profiling the famed D.C. Sniper, and he only could predict that he was "self-centered" and "angry" at others. These are both fairly obvious guesses that "non-experts" could have made. As cool as these profilers can be made out to be in TV shows like Criminal Minds, criminal profiling is more of an art than a science.

After hearing that incredible story on the twins named "Jim" I was amazed by the similarity of their lives, but I feel that this must be a coincidence, Some type of correlation causation, just because it happened once doesn't mean it can be replicated.
have you found any other scenarios where this happened??

In other words I find the personality is one of the most important atributes that make up a person, I also feel that it is something that is very difficult to determine by a simple test.

I don't think that the story on the twins named "Jim" was trying to prove that all twins live exactly similar lives, as it is a very extreme example, but I thought it was crazy how similar their lives could be. So I would have to agree with you that it is a coincidence.

The story about the similarities of the "Jim" twins is an extreme example, but there are other twins-reared apart pairing that have similar coincidences!

The picture was a nice visual to draw readers in. Good use of links. Overall, good entry!

Very interesting story! These crazy coincidences reminded me of the list of similarities between the deaths of Abe Lincoln and Kennedy. It's so remarkable to me that even factors that arn't directly related to the men were so similar, such as their dog's names or their parent's choice in naming them the same. I agree that it is a lot of coincidence in some cases, but it's still pretty amazing.