Synesthesia

One of the most interesting things in the fourth chapter was the concept of synesthesia. This is when two senses are linked, and making use of one leads to using the other. So while for most people, the idea of something or someone sounding "yellow" might be baffling, for synesthetes it may be a common occurrence. I had heard of this concept before, but never really thought much of it. After reading the book, I decided to look it up on the internet to learn more about what exactly it was and if there was any scientific backing to it. Naturally, I thought it would be pretty cool to be a synesthete, being able to see music, or hear colors. I'm sure at least one famous artist or musician made millions almost entirely due to some sort of synesthesia. One point of interest I discovered was that synesthesia doesn't necessarily have to be permanent. Large amounts of LSD or mescaline can bring on synesthetic episodes in people. While I would not personally suggest that solution, I am once again sure that at least one famous artist or musician, such as the group "1200 micrograms" has made millions that way.

LSD by 1200 micrograms

This must have been the condition that Penny mentioned in our last discussion! I just looked up a video on youtube to learn a little more about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApieSGlyBk) There was an example where a man would hear words and get a bad taste in his mouth!

Yes, I did mention this in our first discussion section. Synesthesia is a very interesting condition! Good, succinct overview of the topic. If you did have synesthesia, which senses would you want to be connected?