Wait, hasn't this already happened?

Have you ever travelled somewhere you've never previously been and suddenly become overwhelmed by a strange feeling that you'd been there before? Or have you been out with friends having a conversation about something current and felt as though you'd already had that same conversation, in the same place, with the same friends? If you have, you're not alone. More than two thirds of the population have experienced this. It's called Deja Vu. In chapter five, Deja Vu and alterations of consciousness and unusual experiences are discussed. It's that feeling that you're in a situation you've been before even though you actually haven't. Although some parapsychologists think that Deja Vu happens because you actually have experienced that situation, only in a different life, the more widely accepted explanation has to do with an "excess of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the temporal lobes." It happens because we have been in a similar situation before and just not fully remembered it, therefore our brain feels as though it has been there when in reality, it's just been in a similar situation. Weirdly, it is most commonly reported in people who travel often, remember their dreams, have liberal political and religious beliefs, are young (between the ages of 15-25), have a college education and a high income. deja_vu_sign_510595.jpg

This was really interesting to read and learn about why we experience Deja Vu. I get it all the time, and I hate how I can never pinpoint where exactly I have experienced the feeling previously. Its also cool to know how it happens within the brain and what triggers it but weird to think that it commonly happens to people who travel, because I rarely travel. The link to your research would have been a good addition, too:)

Good topic! the feeling of Deja Vu is always so weird! I don't necessarily agree with the explanation of it happening from another life, I lean more towards the scientific explanation of it. Good job on your blog, it makes me want more info on Deja Vu!

Good title and great opening lines! Nice, descriptive entry. Good, concise focus on just one topic from the chapter -- and an interesting topic, too!

Very descriptive, interesting post! This phenomena happens to me fairly frequently, and is a very weird feeling. I think the explanation from another life is not true, but the scientific one certainly makes some sense. This is something I could definitely see myself researching this in the future.

Whenever deja vu occurs it is a strange phenomena. I have experienced it myself before. I don't believe it is because of a past life but feel as though I have experienced something similar to what is happening now. Its cool to know the functioning behind it!

I feel like deja vu happened all the time to me when I was younger, almost on a weekly basis. However, I don't agree with the idea that it's because of memories in our past life. Nevertheless, this is a very interesting topic and I enjoyed reading your post about the biology behind it.