Who Are You?

Chapter 14 discusses the different structures and theories about personality. Theories such as where our personalities come from, what makes up our personality, differences in personalities, and many other theories. An example is if our personality traits are heritable and in our genes or influenced by the environment. To study this, researchers studied the correlation between fraternal and identical twins who grew up together and those apart. Researchers also address the different kind of tests people take that that claims to tell more about ones personality. This I found very interesting, especially the psychological interpretation of the handwriting (graphology). Many companies rely on this information to identify employees that may be prone to dishonesty and other behaviors, even though investigators have found this method of reading personality trait through handwriting invalid. Participants that wrote brief autobiographies revealed some of their own personality traits through the content, rather than writing identical passages where no personal stories can be read by the graphologist. If a participant wrote a brief autobiography opposite who they are, what would the results yield about his personality? Will the graphologist base the personality traits by the handwriting style or on the fake story's content?
handwriting.obama.jpg

This is so cool! People who have the patience to look at a persons handwriting so closely and decipher their personality traits are quite amazing! I remember in junior high when I would always try to change up my writing style to make it look "cool" ;]. Good job!

You briefly hit on one of the key questions of psychological testing -- is a method valid (aka measuring what it is supposed to be measuring). Good questions at the end of the entry!

Great post and you provided alot of great information behind the topic. I have to say that the picture was very interesting! I wish someone could analyze my handwriting like that and see how accurate it is!

I can almost guarantee that the analysis would show the traits of the fake personality in the story. I like that you looked at this subject because I never would have associated the two. My friends work at the Minnesota State Fair at "Televac" which is a handwritting analysis booth. It's amazing how much money people will pay for an analysis when everyone knows it's fake. The machine that prints out the analysis just makes a bunch of vague statements that could apply to anybody. Great post.

I've never heard of analyzing someone's personality by looking at their handwriting, and I don't think I would believe any of it. Many personality tests should be taken with a grain of salt, because no one can really define anyone's personality in every situation. Personally, I view myself to be a very structured and organized person, but my handwriting can become very flow-y and even messy. I wonder what they would say about me. interesting post.

I always see this type of personality assessment in crime shows but I never knew if it actually worked. Sometimes when I'm bored, I switch up my handwriting style in class and it can look completely different than what it used to. Other times, my handwriting gets messy and even illegible. Clearly, this method is not very reliable or valid when it comes to assessing personality. Good post!