But I Swear She Said "Rough."

As discussed in our text as well as demonstrated in the discussion section meeting on February 29th, our memory is far from perfect. Using schema, we associate bits of information and draw conclusions from stimuli that does not explicitly show everything that we remember. Not only that, we can also be led to believe that we remember something that not only never happened, but is completely outlandish or impossible. This got me thinking. Why do our brains do this? Why is memory not simply a series of pictures or video clips saved somewhere in our brain to be recalled and reflected upon later? On top of that, why is it that we can only recall seven (plus or minus two) pieces of information at once?

memory-usage.jpg

Above all, why is the public perception a memory so far from actual human memory capabilities? It is sited in the text that young children believe that they can remember far more than they actually can, and older children will not predict that they can remember as much information. This means that humans have realized at a relatively young age that the span of their memory is limited. But why, then, do humans believe that their memories are clearer and more correct than they actually are? I suppose only additional research will tell.

I wish my memory worked like a series of photographs or video clips, I feel like it would help me do a lot better in school. There are so many times when I am taking tests that I know that I know the right answer but cannot recall it, and this is very frustrating. It will be interesting to see the future research that tries to explain more how memory works.

It's weird to think how some people are able to remember such complicated things in an exact form like thousands of digits into pi, and at the same time we forget such simple things. I know I have defended my memories that turned out to be false in the end. We always seem to think that memories aren't something you can tamper with, probably because it seems so real to us. I'm sure it's a difficult concept for people to accept that what they think they know with certainty may not actually be true.

You brought up a lot of interesting questions in this entry. It does seem like our society bases pretty much everything we know on what we think we remember. One area that confuses me is the sometimes fine line between memories that I had from when I'm dreaming and memories from time spent awake. I would like to know if there is a specific area of our brain that evaluates how sure we are or should be in a memory. This area would be the part that helps gauge how much we can rely on our memories.. I know this hypothetical area of my brain is always very active when I am taking tests.