Luckily, Mom Isn't Always Right...

Growing up with an Asian mother she was always worried about my health and my weight, especially since my dad is obese. She would constantly pester me about eating too late at night, giving me the evil eye when I reached for the bag of chips. I'm happy to say that she is not right but... she is also not wrong. According to an article in Web MD an experiment containing two groups of mice proved that on average there was a 20% weight increase when the mouse's eating habits were changed. On the other hand according to Madelyn Fernstrom, Ph.D., she believes that eating a healthy 200-300 calorie snack helps maintain a high metabolism through out the night, still leaving you hungry in the morning for breakfast. Finally, an article from illpumpyouup.com meets in the middle saying its eating the right thing at the right time. Eating a couple hours before bed is a good thing, leaving you with a slight hungry feeling before you go to bed, meaning that your body is burning your fat.

Legitimacy of these articles may vary from person to person, because Web MD is a well known site some readers may view it as more accurate information. Otherwise, if your like me hearing that eating before bed is actually O.K. makes everything else seem insignificant. Also the legitimacy of each article cannot possibly pertain to each reader because everyone's body, metabolism, and diet are different. In the end I think each reader knows their own body best, and what eating style would be most beneficial for them.

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/eating-before-bed.htm
http://blogs.webmd.com/pamela-peeke-md/2009/09/if-you-eat-late-youll-gain-weight.html
http://www.ivillage.com/do-late-night-snacks-cause-weight-gain/4-n-122291

eating-before-sleep.jpg

I really like the personal information you used at the beginning. The articles you mentioned were very interesting as well. I had always heard that eating before bed was a bad thing. But the way you explained that eating some food before bed helps you burn the fat from the day by leaving you with that slightly hungry feeling really made sense to me. The point you made about everyones body being different and reacting to these methods differently i felt was a needed part to your post and was very well done.

I also really enjoyed you putting a personal twist into your blog. It grabbed my attention right away and made me want to read the rest of it. In addition, I thought it was very effective how you analyzed your own sources in a very strong manner. It helped to convince me that you were very informed before writing this blog.

You could try linking your those websites to certain words within you blog, just a helpful suggestion to incorporate information seamlessly through your post.
I liked how it was a personal issue you were dealing with, as mentioned in past comments - and I can relate to your picture as I always eat ice cream before bed!
Eric Best

Well I'm glad I don't have to feel so guilty for munching before bed! I've heard of some of this too; that eating 5 smaller meals every day is much more beneficial than the regular bigger three, for that same purpose to keep metabolism working constantly throughout the day. I've also heard that eating more in the earlier hours of your day and gradually eating smaller portions helps control your body weight. So, it's good to know there are several sites that confirm this. I also really like the skepticism used in your sources of info. It shows you really care about where your information is coming from.

I really liked how you linked this common debate back to your own personal life. The sources of articles were nice because they gave several different perspectives and were interesting to take a look at!
I would suggest maybe linking them next time, to create a more appealing layout!

I agree with most of the argument. It's also important to realize that people are different; what works for one person may not work for another. I think it is all about finding habits that are best for you. If your body can handle a snack before bed, and you are healthy then go ahead! Good Job!

The previous poster hit the nail on the head in my mind. Every person is different. Bodies typically adjust to whatever your routine is so if you usually have a light snack before bed I see no harm in that. With that said, it does depend on your definition of light snack. Some french fries and a pop probably isn't as "light" as an apple and some fruit snacks or something like that.

I can completely relate since I'm an American-born Chinese. I agree most with the article about eating the right thing at the right time, though the question is what really is the right time? And eating right is important for personal health, but eating the right amount is important too. And on top of that, what you said about metabolism is very true! I know people who eat McDonalds, Taco Bell, and other fast foods on a daily basis and yet, they're still stick thin, while I work out daily, and eat nothing but home-made food and I still struggle with being my "ideal" weight. This post was very intriguing! Thank you for posting it!

This blog has a good start. I was born in China and my mother really always worried about my health and my weight. Add some personally experiment in one science blog makes it seem not so boring. :)

I really like your post and the topic. It’s very controversial and popular topic these days since lots of Americans getting fatter and fatter. I think it’s really interesting that eating some food before bed is actually good for body. I thought eating before bed is always bad. Good job! :)

I agree with everyone else when they say that adding your own personal experience with the subject added a lot to the purpose behind the post. Since I know that you have a personal connection to the story, I believe that what you are writing is much more valid. The topic itself was also very interesting. It was also very good to inform the reader about the other possible beliefs. And the cultural aspect was also very interesting.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I like how you added the personal aspect. It's always nice to hear that there is a real author behind articles or writings. If I would add anything to this blog post, I would connect links to your articles that you've cited, so that people could check it out themselves.

Really interesting to read about! My mother does the same thing to me whenever I reach for a late-night snack. I liked the various sources of information that you brought into the article--it's intriguing to know that eating snacks may be beneficial depending on different people's bodies. Overall, very nice job!

This title made me click in and had a look at. This is really a fascinating blog and it's so interesting. From this one, I learn a lot! I know that eating some snack before bed will probably not help gain weight and gaining weight is probably due to the fact that we change our eating habit. That's a great news to me, although the author pointed our that it vary from person to person. All in all, this is good blog!

Your post is very interesting! I agree that eating habit and the consequences of bad eating habit vary from person to person. I have a friend who is very skinny. She eats a lot and often at night right before she goes to bed. She thought by performing this eating habit, she could gain some weight. But her theory is wrong. It is like whatever she eat doesn't get absorbed by her body. Again, great post!

Good job, the personal touch grabbed my attention and made me continue reading! Those articles are interesting. There are many studies about eating healthy and eating right, but there is only so much you can read before simply trying different things out to see what works for you. In that sense, it's frustrating for some people to try to lose weight because diets or routines that work for many others may not work for that individual at all. Thanks.

As the others stated above, I enjoyed the personal touch you added at the beginning. My mother has also pestered me about eating late at night. There are nights, especially in college, where you are so hungry that you can't sleep. This article makes me feel less guilty about grabbing for that snack before bedtime.

I like your title, it caught my attention right away and the "..." led me to continue reading! I also enjoyed the beginning of the article, like many said already, as it helps me understand how you relate to this article and it seems more realistic having that past experience. Considering college students are reading this article, and most are snacking late at night, I found the topic of it very purposeful and helpful.

I really like how wrote about something that you could relate to, especially because it applies to several other people as well. I think it's so interesting how our parents values and ideas about issues even about this like eating habits, have an effect on the way we think and live. This really reinforces the idea that we shouldn't believe everything we hear, even our parents, who we so readily trust and believe about everything. We need to do the research ourselves sometimes and be able to make our own opinions based on concrete evidence.

I like the topic choice. Just like you, I have always been told that it was not good to eat before bed, but I never really understood the reasoning behind it. Whenever I ate before bed, I felt as though I slept better and was more hungry in the morning. Whenever I didn't eat, I always would lay in bed wishing that I did, and can't sleep because of it. Obviously there is a limit to how much you should eat, as stated in one of the articles that you posted, and the benefits vary from person to person, but I think it's good to eat before bed too if you're hungry.

I have the same problem with my asian mom. She always is on my back about my eating schedule. I feel like I need to send her your blog, so maybe she will leave me alone about it! It's so good to hear that I don't have to feel guilty about eating a late snack before bed becaues I always do it. Can't help it if we get hungry at odd times!

I also have an Asian mother and a mildly obese father so I could really relate to your article. My mother is also always pushing me to eat healthy but at the same time to eat enough so that I can maintain a healthy weight. I liked that you used a lot of articles and hope that it is okay to eat before you sleep because that's usually when I get my biggest cravings!

My mother is a complete health nut. She doesn't necessarily think that eating late at night is a bad thing, she just thinks that there needs to be a certain amount of time before you eat again in the morning. She stops eating at 7 and doesn't eat for something like 15 hours which is what she says is healthy. Personally, I have no idea what is the healthiest course of action, all I know is that if you are eating food that isn't processed or full of refined sugars you're probably good.

I've heard so many claims about dieting, when and when not to eat, and what you should be eating that it is incredibly hard to know what is actually right. This kind of relates back to learning about psuedoscience because we do not know which dietary claims are actually right. I try to eat healthy and eat only when i'm hungry which is a large meal at breakfast and dinner with a small snack. I know others who have very different eating styles than me. Super interesting to read and great personal example!