Animal language

Do animals has their own language? This problem is seemingly innocent, naive, but it relates to our discussion about the "language". Some studies have shown that animals have language like human, and they also have emotions. From my point of view, laughter and joy is not the unique human ability. Maybe long before humans can laugh, the other animals already have the original form of laughter.
Animals of course have their own language, but may not necessarily with a voice to express. Different animals have different ways to expression themselves, for example, ants exchange message with antennae dancing, bees exchange message with different flying route, squirrels exchange message with their tail waving.
PhotomanipulationSquirrel.jpg
I own a cat at home. I really think sometimes we can understand each other. In order to built a good relationship with her, I find some ways to understand cats emotion on internet. That's petty useful.
cat-puffed-up-tail-21243648.jpg
Another example of animal language is dolphins. Nowadays, people also began to understand the language of the dolphins, rather than just think that as a discordant percussion, beat or whistle. The new study suggests that when dolphins encounter each other in the sea, they use whistles which they both familiar with to introduce themselves and greet to each other. Here is one video I found on youtube.com which talk about language of dolphins.

In the end, a picture of my cat.:)

large_MlUB_04420001c9781260.jpg

I really enjoyed your blog! It is interesting to think how other animals communicate. I sometimes feel that my dog also knows exactly what I'm thinking! I liked you picture of how animals can communicate with their tails and I didn't know that squirrels wave their tails to communicate. I also liked that you made it personal with a picture of your cat!

This was a really enjoyable article to read. I always knew that animals communicated on different levels then humans but you have gave me some examples i have never knew before, such as how the cat uses its tail to communicate with others. It was interesting at looking at the Telltale Tails about when cats put there tails in a certain position it means something, and that is one of the ways they communicate. Good job on the the blog!

I'm glad you chose to highlight out animals use language - I think that many humans are quick to assume because animals lack a verbal language similar to English they must not have the ability to communicate complex ideas, despite their abilities to communicate audibly, physically, or even chemically (which we all do).

This was a very intriguing read. I also believe animals communicate with each other, but I don't know if it's at the same level as humans. I think most animals' communication with each other is for simpler means, like getting food, or warning each other of predators. This is not to say that they don't share emotional connections, I just don't think they are as strong as human connections. Just my opinion!

This is very interesting blog!I like the pictures in this blog. I cannot agree more on the language of animals. Now, I am living with a cute dog. When I come back home from class, once I open the door, she will wag her tail and make some sound "rushing" to me. I believe this is a kind of language that she tries to communicate with me. So, when I read this blog, I can really understand a lot from this. All in all, nice pictures and good explanations!

So cute! This immediately reminded me of my mom. She always talks to our dog, and I just give her an eye roll because its so silly. I don't know if animals have their own "language", but they use other things to communicate. But I think they can definitely sense emotions and energy that other animals or humans give off.

I really liked this blog. I definitely agree that animals do have emotions. I don't know if they could be compared with human emotions, but they definitely do have them. I just had to think of my dog and how I can tell when he is sad or happy. He knows too how to interpret my emotions, whether I am mad or happy with him. I really enjoyed the visual too, with the angry squirrel.

I enjoyed reading your blog. I feel that animals do have a way of communicating with each other, and that it is pretty different than that of humans. I also think that some animals can communicate with humans, one example being dogs. My dog seems to know a lot of the things that I am feeling, and he has learned to respond to a lot of the commands that I give him. It may just be through classical conditioning, but I also think that he has learned to understand me too.

First off great blog. I enjoyed your post of the Telltale tail. Im allergic to cats so I really don't have hardly any experience with cats, and their mannerism, but my first glance threw I thought it was a chart for dogs tails instead. So I thought it would be interesting if dogs shared some of these same traits with cats. Im not sure if animals have their own language under the criteria defined in the book, but I would agree 100 percent that animals are extremely effective communicators. I mean a blue whale can send noise, and communicate hundred of miles, where as even the loudest human,

I really liked this blog. You provided very great information that was fun to read and learn about. There are so many different types of communication and language in not only human contact, but animal contact as well. You did a great job providing examples of different types of language for animals. Along with that, you also provided some great pictures that made this a very interesting and fun blog to read.

No video of dolphins!!!! I always thought that other animals could communicate to each other and that humans had merely evolved the ability to do this more effectively through our broad range of sounds. It would be interesting to discover if there is truly a syntax to their language though. I heard recently that certain primates had been taught sign language which supports the idea that the mind is capable but lacks the equipment to develop methods to express themselves as intricately as us. Humans really didn't develop sign language a pervasive idea until the 17th century meaning that even for humans it took a long time to establish a communication standard with those that lacked certain tools of communication. All this being much after the spoken, written or even mathematical languages.

This is a great topic to read about! I have two dogs, and I always find it amusing the way they communicate with each other, since one is the "alpha female" and the other just a pup. Your cat diagram is hilarious because it almost seems to be too true. Thanks for this post.

I love your cat so much. Actually, I think you should choose a more beautiful picture to post. Of course animals have their own language, and different animals have different ways to express their meaning. It is really very fantastic. Your picture that introduces how cat's tail express their feeling is very useful. I can learn a lot from your blog.

Very interesting blog and a great job using pictures that really caught my attention. I have found that my dog does different things with her tail to express different levels of excitement, so this article really resonates. Great job overall!

First off, very interesting pictures, the one of the cats signals is great. I will most definitely be looking for these the next time i am around a cat! Animal language is an intriguing subject, when i was younger i always wondered how they were able to communicate since they were not saying any words. obviously i learned more as i grew up but this section of the course gave a me a little deeper understanding of just how language interacts with other species and just how incredible some animal languages are. Humans of course have one complex system for communicating!