How many languages can you identify in this cartoon?

2011-05-08-5828e39a.gif

Well, if you identified the six foreign languages without looking them up, that is great. However, if you speak all those languages fluently, a similar number of languages or more then you are a polyglot.
Therefore a polyglot is a person who is able to speak multiple languages. I personally, can identify the French, Italian, Spanish and Romanian easily. However, I only speak English, French, Arabic and Darija fluently. So hopefully one day, my Spanish will get above the intermediate level, and then maybe I will call myself a polyglot. I was lucky since bilingual parents raised me, and at a young age I was introduced to multiple languages. It was always hard for me to get interested in languages in school. I felt that the instructors were just overwhelming me with homework and therefore I did not learn anything from them. It is travelling to other countries, meeting new people who did not share the same language that forced me to put the effort to learn new languages. For me you cannot learn a culture without learning the language. It does not only help you get people 's joke but it helps you understand them and their culture. I will encourage all of you to learn a new language. Even if scientists claim that learning new languages has to do with the structure of your Wenicke and broca's area; I will try to persuade you that you do not have to be a genius to learn a new language. And the best way to learn a new language is to go to a country of your interest, make a new friend who speaks the language.

I really could only identify 3 languages, but I feel like I could have guessed the other two. I love the cartoon, by the way. It made me laugh. But I totally agree with what you're saying. I've always found that learning a language is extremely difficult in a classroom setting, and I've heard from numerous people it is so much easier if you go abroad! I'm definitely going to look into it! I enjoyed reading your post!

This is a really cool article and the cartoon is a great complement as well. I enjoyed this exercise and agree that being a polyglot would be really advantageous. I have a similar goal of becoming fluent in 3 or 4 languages. Right now I am fluent in Spanish and English, but would also like to pick up German and one other language. Languages are so interesting because they provide us with so many amazing opportunities!

Nice post, the cartoon captured my attention even though I could only really identify about two of the languages! I like how you really incorporated a lot of your personal thoughts on experiences on language, that's so awesome that you're fluent in so many languages. I do think that it would have helped your post to tie in a little bit more detail from the lesson in the book. Though you do mention "Wenicke and broca's area," I think it would have been nice if you elaborated more on what exactly that area is.