In Five Years I Will Remember...

One thing that I think I will remember five years from now is one of the concepts that seemed to come up many times throughout the entire book, which was the scientific thinking principles. These principles are obviously very important in psychology and they can also be applied to everyday life such as the situations that you are put in and the judgements that you have to make. The principle of ruling out rival hypotheses might help me to broaden my perspective and look at other solutions. The theory of correlation versus causation will remind me that one thing does not necessarily cause another.
Psychology.gif
Falsifiability will remind me not to believe everything that I hear as some things can be made up and there is no way of proving them. Replicability shows how important it is to back up your findings and eliminate any things that may have happened because of chance. Extraordinary claims will remind me to look at the evidence of the claim and make sure that it is reasonable to make that claim. Occam's razor shows me that there may be simpler ways of explaining things and to not get to caught up trying to make a complex argument. These principles are simple and helpful ways to analyze the things you may come across in everyday life which is why I think I will remember them.

Yes I completely agree with you! I was glad that our textbook emphasized these principles. I feel like it made me better at identifying these scientific shortcomings in instances not perfectly laid out in our psychology textbook. Definitely a good thing to take away from this class.

I think I will remember these six principles as well. Even though I will remember them, I am not sure how accurate they are? I had trouble accepting some of the things, such as falsifiable claims. Our text book talked about many great experiments such as Freud's work, but much of it was not falsifiable. Does this mean that things like theoretical astro-physics is not a science as well. Other examples include things like the Occam's razor and Extraordinary claims that could very easily be applied to aspects of evolution, yet evolution is science. So I am not sure. I didn't really know what to think about those principles.

I will also remember the six principles. I loved seeing them on the test because they have been so ingrained in my brain!

The six principles are probably one of the most important take aways from this course. This is probably why we keep seeing them in every section of our book! I find myself looking at other aspects of my world with the six principles. Great Topic!

It might be pretty difficult to forget the six principles after how much they were tested on and referred to on both the quizzes and exams. Overall I think these are critical not only to psychology but to our life in general. Great Post!

I totally agree with you--I definitely will remember the scientific thinking principles because I find myself applying them all the time. Whenever I see health news articles, I find myself thinking, that's a correlational relationship, and not causational. Overall, very interesting blog topic!

This was actually a concept that I will remember too, due to the fact that it was referred to so many times throughout the text. They were good to have, because they made me think about psychology at a deeper level than just skimming the surface. Good job!

I hope I remember these principles in 5 years also! The one principle that I already find very useful to understand is correlation vs. causation. It is important to understand, not only in psychology but in everyday life, that there may be a third variable in effect that causes something to happen. Great post!