Mint, Dwight?

By now we are all familiar with Pavlov's model of classical conditioning. This is one topic I will probably never forget due to the fact that there are so many good examples in television and movies. In lecture, we saw an example from the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon uses chocolate to condition Penny to behave as he deems fit. In The Office, Jim uses mints as the unconditioned stimulus and the sound of his computer as the conditioned stimulus which leads to Dwight salivating to the sound of Jim's computer, even when no mint is offered.
Initially, this was a difficult topic for me to grasp. I had trouble trying to decide which was the unconditioned stimulus, conditioned stimulus, etc. I believe that seeing examples in television shows helps to solidify this concept in my mind. I find it very fascinating that someone can condition another person into doing something or feeling a certain way. The little Albert example is especially interesting. It amazes me that someone can condition another person to fear something they once had no problem with.
Watch this clip from The Office to see how Jim uses Pavlov's model to condition Dwight! Can you think of any more examples in movies or television where characters use Pavlov's model?

I love The Office! Even though I don't always get to watch it, the show is just too funny! I can't say I've seen the episode, but I loved the clip! I definitely agree how T.V. shows can help make concepts stick more easily! And, who doesn't love T.V?

This is a great blog! I also had trouble grasping the topic of classical conditioning when it was first introduced to us in class. Furthermore, I agree that seeing real-life examples of it, such as on "The Big Bang Theory," help to make the topic easier to understand. I still can't believe that the baby Albert experiment was allowed to happen!

I totally remember this Office episode but I never really understood the Pavlov's model. I feel that watching this and the Big Bang Theory really help me understand this topic more. I agree that these real life examples help people learn better and should be used for other topics that are hard to grasp.

I love both of these shows and I definitely remember both scenes. I think watching TV in this case actually helped me grasp the topic of classical conditioning. The baby Albert experiment still shocks me because it's incredible that someone would subject a baby to that type of fear conditioning. Overall, nice blog post!

I'm glad you used Dwight as an example because I love the Office. You are absolutely right, though. Classical Conditioning is actually everywhere. It's weird because you never really think about it, unless you've taken PSY1001 I suppose. I think it's a wonderful marketing technique because people succumb to it subconsciously. Well done!

I totally thought of this clip when we were learning this unit! I did not even know about this Pavlovian concept until I watched this clip, actually. It's cool to see how "life-applicable" this Psych course is -- they are even showing these concepts on TV shows everyone watches!

Great example! Very entertaining. I agree with you that the concept of Pavlov's conditioning is prevalent in a lot of day to day situations. I love when in movies and television shows there are examples of this because we are now able to identify and notice the science and psychology behind it.

Your title and video really caught my attention, because let's be honest who doesn't like the office? This was a great tie- in to psych and a good way to show that there are many real life examples of what we learn, even though we may not always recognize them!

haha great video great post! it is amazing how many examples of conditioning i now notice in movies and shows, this a great example of that. A very similar one is done in the big bang theory which i didn't realize until just recently seeing the episode again. It just goes to show how many psyc concepts are used everyday all around us!

I really liked your post and the video was really good!! I watch the office as well and when I first watched this episode I never really thought too much about the psychological aspect of it but after learning about it in class, it is interesting to relate it to a show I watch. Great post!