One Against Many

One topic that we studied in class was the idea of conformity. Whether or not we would just go with the crowd even if it something we do not believe in. This concept is very important, and we face it all the time. I think I will remember this idea for several reasons. First of all, we studied it for an entire discussion period, and looked at several studies. Also, I think I will remember it for the reason that I mentioned above: we are faced with it all the time. Every day we encounter countless situations in which we have to make decisions. Many of these decisions have to do with conformity.
After looking at some studies, I was astonished to see how many people will go against their own beliefs just because someone tells them to. Thinking about my own life, there have definitely been times in which I am guilty of this. But I think just by understanding the concept, I will be more likely to stand up for what I believe in. I will definitely remember this concept for the rest of my life, and use my knowledge to stand up for what is right!
http://www.statenet.com/capj/graphics/3286_crowd.gif

Everybody has conformed at least a few times in their life, and while I would like to believe that I don't very often, I know that is not the case. The videos we watched in discussion about conformity made me wonder what I would have done if I was put in the same situation. Great post!