Reflecting Over Developmental Psychology

images-3.jpeg
After exploring many different themes and topics in psychology this semester I found myself particularly interested in developmental psychology. I think a lot of this interest came from my liking of children and someday wanting to work with them. I thought the processing of the brain at different ages was fascinating. The differences between each age group and the way their brains worked were very large, I had never imagined differences this profound between ages. I was very interested in the idea of conservation in infants. I had always thought that infants were amused when playing peekaboo games because the were just a fun way to pass the time to them. It shocked me to learn that the infants actually see this game as an incredible magic trick. They believe that when an object is covered up or is no longer in sight, the object does not exist. Many other examples of the differences in brain processing among various age groups were presented in class; all of which were equally interesting. This summer I am nannying for a family that has two small children. After learning about developmental psychology I will be able to better understand how their brains work and understand their reasoning for doing certain actions.

I agree completely with your entry! I never gave much thought into why children liked to play games like peekaboo. I didn't think that they really thought about it at all, just an amusement. It's so cool to realize that even at such a young age children can have the thought process to believe that an object is literally disappearing.

I was also really fascinated by the developmental process in children when we learned about developmental psychology. Probably because I'm also interested in working with kids one day. After learning more about how children don't have object permanence until a certain age, I think it will be even more fun to play peekaboo with little ones because we know that they actually think it's magic!