Smokin' the Mary Jane

View image
What would you say if you found out that you had the gene for novelty-seeking? Would you want to prepare for it? Would you want to still have kids? Would you prefer to find a way to cancel or eliminate the gene from your DNA? The questions could continue forever, but the dilemma remains. How would you live your life if you knew that you were more at risk for substance abuse or accidents? Would that deter you from wanting to search out and enjoy new experiences?

I know that this gene would definitely have an impact on my life, but it would only be a small one. I would try to avoid the things that would embellish it or do them in moderation. I believe that people shouldn't ever let a disability or obstacle stand in their way from living life to its fullest. I would continue to use my intrinsic motivation as a driving force to obtain each and every one of my goals.

On the other side, what should society do to protect itself? Should they require people to have that gene removed from their DNA sequence to better protect everyone else in the world or should they let people live their lives freely? I believe that society might want to consider isolating the part of the novelty seeking gene that has to do with substance abuse because that is a huge and extremely common problem among us humans. We get addicted to drugs and alcohol,cost our employers and ourselves extreme amounts of money, and destroy relationships. The following link on substance abuse provides great information on the topic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_abuse

Regarding cognitive development, it would be interesting to track a kids growth if scientists could identify the gene in his DNA. However, this would create an ethical debate because it would create controversy about whether it is fair to tell the kid or not. A criminality gene would do the same thing. People would argue forever about whether or not everything regarding the topic is fair and it would be very annoying in my opinion.

View image

Let me know what your opinion is on the topic!

I think it is a very interesting topic. I am a Bio-Chemistry major and the subject of affecting genes and changing genetic makeup is a common subject. It would be very hard to determine a gene that predisposed people to addictions or criminality. There are so many variables that go into a human life and it is hard to narrow cause and effect down to one thing. It also could introduce a whole new form of racism. One that would discriminate against those who supposedly are going to harm society because their genes say they are going to commit a crime.

Nice article! I agree with you- that people should not let a disability or obstacle stand in their way of living life to the fullest, why should they?! This topic is tough though, because addiction is unfortunately so easy to come by, especially in our society. Maybe it has nothing to do with society isolating the gene, but better informing/educating the society of this gene. More awareness could ultimately lead to less substance abuse? We hope.

I agree that it would be very difficult to determine a gene for something as complex as addiction. Addiction is caused by so much more than just whether or not it runs in our family. Even though it would be unfortunate to discover that I possessed a gene that predisposed me to some sort of addiction, I would still have children if that's what I wanted to do. I would imagine predisposition to addiction would be a recessive trait, so there would be a greater chance of my child not possessing this trait. We should not discriminate based on a random, chance occurrence.

I don't think it's possible to block or inhibit an "addiction gene" because it has more factors than a gene. The situations we are put in throughout life would have an effect on our addiction habits also. So even if we got rid of a so called "addiction gene," I don't think that necessarily would stop us from repeated drug use. This was a very interesting and thought provoking post.

I do not think that we should ever make it mandatory to remove the "bad" genes. If you know that you are more prone to substance abuse than the only responsible thing to do would be to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Even without this gene, people still become addicted. It is the life choices that are made that will really impact a person's life. If I knew I had such a gene, I would make sure to distance myself from something that could be of such harm. It would almost be a blessing to know that you are more at risk for substance abuse, because then you would be able to take the necessary steps to prevent it.

Excellent article! I think you covered the subject very well. I personally don't think that the government will every require a certain gene to be removed from infants or anything of that sort. I think that they would be more likely to place people who have a tendency towards certain, 'costly' behaviors under training or medication to lessen their chance of falling to substance abuse or whatever the behavior may be.

Great article and very interesting topic, although I'm not really sure how it relates to your title. I think that starting to remove specific genes can start a very dangerous trend towards gene designing. I think awareness about this subject is the best way to tackle substance abuse.

I definitely agree with people that say that awareness is the best way to tackle the problem. Also, I am one of the people that strongly believe that is not only sufficient to educate people and help them out. Give people the tools to quit an addiction is a must for society, but the addict need to have intrinsic desire to be able to quit. Inhibiting the addiction gene, could be a solution but only if the patient desire it. I hope society will not take the matter on their own.

I really enjoy your article and it;s definitely a goo topic. Everyone may holds a totally different toward this this problem. That's way it became a "dilemma". It's really a pity that not each problem has a "perfect" solution.

Great post on a very debatable topic. It is difficult to determine what might ht best course of action when someone might contain the genes that is going to make them more likely to experience substance and drug abuse. if i was in that situation i would certainly want to do something to stop it, whether that be removing the gene or taking the necessary steps to prevent any abuse from ever taking place. It must be a difficult position to be in for those who are have such behaviors simple programmed in them. Again nice subject, nice post.

This green stuff have cured lots of people where today medicine couldn't help...