"Land into Landscape" - Malcolm Andrews

Post comments

Land into Landscape by Malcolm Andrews was full of good information and was like no other reading I’ve ever read before. I had never heard of Earth Art or Land Art so it was eye opening to learn about something new. Sculptor Micheal Heizer said, “Earth is the material with the most potential because it is the original source material.” This stood out to me the most from all of the reading because it is true and it made me think of Earth in a whole new way. Earth is art itself and every piece of art is created from Earth. The artists in the reading used materials that were natural, which could change the way we think of art to make people more environmentally aware. Not only was it created with natural materials but it was also portraying the beauty of nature in an accurate way, it has a clear message of what the artist wants: creating art without destroying nature.

Jenni

Land into Landscape – Malcolm Andrews
“Land into Landscape” was about landscape as a whole. One thing that caught my attention the most was when W. J. T. Mitchell talked about “landscape is not a genre of art but a medium. That it is a medium exchange between the human and the natural, the self and the other.” He compared landscape to money. I found this very interesting because landscape is like money in a sense, it is good for nothing in itself, but is used by others constantly. I never really thought about landscape as money so thinking about it in this way really makes me think about the way that I care for the land around me. That the whole earth’s landscape is really useless, but we as humans make it have so much value. We value the land because it means so much to us as humans and the animals who live here.
Kassy

The reading on "Land into Landscape" by Malcolm Andrews gave me a whole new understanding of our the landscape surrounding us. Andrews described landscape as being the subject or art of our world. I never thought common everyday landscape would be viewed as art. But then again, people do make landscape paintings. I think that was what Andrews wanted to portray to the readers that we should see ourselves as "creative producers of landscape images." The sad truth is that humans somehow always seem to be neglecting the beauty of images, or sometimes we "tend to devour images without digesting them." I believe that the little attention to the paintings conveyed a message to me. He gave awareness and a background for the viewer to see. I saw images in a different sense taking into consideration of what he was saying. A few days ago, I was briefly in the Weisman Art Museum with my roommate. We were looking at paintings not actually related to landscape, but I found myself judging the picture right away without comprehending it. I then took a look at the description of the work beside it, and I still was confused as to why a block of an off-white color was considered art. The reality of it is, is that it's left up for us to interpret. I struggled a bit looking at the paintings, but I suddenly saw myself realizing that maybe if I sought out patience and time, then I would not be as frustrated. Overall, I think that was Andrews general message. He did go on to talking about parergons and how we interpret nude paintings. Again, it reiterated what humans do not like to deal with the abstract. Stowing away images, I think, is all related to culture in America. Landscapes I can now view as art, and filled with appreciation.
Anushka

Land into Landscape by Malcolm Andrews allowed me to understand what exactly a landscape is. Like his 13 year old son, I too thought of landscape as just a country scene. Andrews tells the reader that landscape is more so land that has either arranged itself or arranged as an artistic vision. This helped me draw the conclusion that a city is a landscape, a countryside is a landscape, and even bodies of water are considered landscapes. Since reading this article, I have come to appreciate my surroundings more often and truly understand the various manifestations of art.

I really like what Malcolm Andrews says towards the beginning about landscape and that it is “constructed by the perceiver. I believe this is true because everyone has their own definition of landscape and what constitutes a scene to be landscape. Then he talks about putting a frame on landscape and in doing this it focuses or captures what we are considering to be landscape. Then later in the article he mentions what W.J.T. Mitchell said, he said “Landscape is a medium of exchange between the human and the natural.” I interpret this statement as landscape is formed by nature, but humans then look at it, put a frame around it, and call it landscape. We do this because that certain scene may seem unique or different from other views of nature, and there’s something about that specific scene that we enjoy. But the exchange takes place when humans paint or take a picture of that scene and then put a frame on it, and then it is considered landscape.

Tanner

“Land into Landscape” by Malcolm Andrews, I feel is about defining what a landscape is. Andrews is saying when something significant happens to the land then it is perceived as a ‘landscape’. When we sketch or photograph a picture of land, we automatically call it a landscape. Andrews says it is because it’s a habit we developed over centuries, due to our relationship with the physical environment. I think it’s interesting how Andrews said, “Landscape pictures breed more landscape pictures.” That’s true because there have been landscape picture centuries ago and there are still more being made now. Landscape pictures that have already been made may bring out new ideas in other people, so more landscape pictures will be made. There is always more and new ways of artistically visualizing land. Another thing I thought were interesting in the reading was when it was saying how landscape art tells us or asks us to think about where we belong. And how the connection between such fundamental issues and our perception of the natural world is a key reason for the proliferation if images of landscape over the last 500 years in the West.
Gabrielle

"Land into Landscape" by Malcolm Andrews was intriguing to me and I learned a lot. One part that stuck out to me was when the reading mentioned propositions by W.J.T. Mitchell. He says that Landscape is a natural scene mediated by culture. Also that landscape represented and presented space. I found this interesting because it made me think what landscape really is. Google definitions define landscape as "all the visible features of an area of countryside or land". I believe this but I think landscape is so much more. Like the quote from W.J.T landscapes represents who we are. No matter what the landscape is, it represents our culture. There are many different landscapes, however all of them have their own unique aspect and represent something different. People see landscape as just a picture but after reading this article I now see landscape for so much more like the representation of our society. One last opinion I have is when people look at landscape they may just see one specific aspect of it that they like. However I feel people need to look at the landscape as whole and see the overall beauty it shows.

After reading "Land into Landscape" I have a better understanding of landscape. I think it's interesting that most people just as his 13 year old son already have an preconceived idea of what a landscape is. We don't truly understand and I think appreciate a really good landscape and we just automatically call a picture of land a "landscape". Andrews said "A landscape picture breeds a landscape picture" which I find to be so true. I believe that each landscape are different and unique and in reading this, I think that we need to learn to appreciate the landscape and learn more about an actual landscape before we just go off labeling a picture as a "landscape" picture.

The definition of landscape boils down to personal opinion. To a 13-year-old boy landscape might mean "a scene in the country". It can mean several areas of sight as you walk. Landscape is bordered by a frame. Without this frame, the landscape is just a "shapeless gathering of natural features". Landscape in a different view can be an experience or idea where we are creatively involved. According to Karen Knorr, the reason landscape can be defined multiple ways is because our sense of our own identity and relationship to our environment is implicated in our response to landscape photos. "Landscape in art tells us, or asks us to think about, where we belong." When we analyze photos we use our own experiences and ideas to create beauty in what we see. I find it interesting that Wordsworth describes landscapes as not a genre of art but a medium. "A medium of exchange between the human and the natural, the self and the other." "It is like money, good for nothing in itself but expressive of a potentially limitless reserve of value." I never thought of it this way. Landscape photos are a matter of connection with the viewer. Photos are intended for personal interpretations. Just like money, it is nothing to itself but of limitless value to its users.

Dani

Malcolm Andrews' Land into Landscape changes the way I think of landscape and art. When I looked at paintings or photographs, I was fascinated by their beauty; however, I didn't think about where the artists or photographers captured the images. Actually all those extraordinary scenes came from the landscape, the views of our land, which are also the views of our country and culture. The author did say that landscape is like a moving art because the descriptions of the natural scene, such as the glimmering river, the bright foliage, etc., are very aesthetic. Also, the author said that different people might see different landscapes when they look at the countryside. I think the way Malcolm described the relationship between art and landscape is interesting. He said, “Landscape is a good view of a stretch of countryside, while art was what happened to the landscape when it translated into painted image by a person with vision, flair, and technical skill.” This is telling us when a person looked at the landscape, they might attracted by something inside of the scene, and different people would have different feeling attached to the view, and they painted the landscape with their feelings and understandings into art. Same as we looked at the art and felt what the artists tried to express their feelings to the viewers; the landscapes also expressed something to the artist. That’s why landscape is also a mean of art.

Sherry

Land into Landscape by Malcolm Andrews gave me a better insight on how some people view landscape. I personally have always seen landscape as a broad scene. To me landscape can be any land your looking at. Andrews talks about how people perceive what "landscape" is. I think that landscape can have deeper meaning depending on the person viewing in. If someone from a big city was looking at a landscape of a cornfield, they might not think anything of it. Now if a farmer looked at a landscape of a cornfield, they might feel some relation to it and look more into it. I believe that a landscape has as much meaning as your willing to give it. Like his 13 year old son I think that many people don't think much about landscape when they see it at first. Reading articles like this helps give a new perspective on how landscape can be viewed.

reading the article by Malcome it was a different way of thinking than i had done before. His discription of a landscape is not what mine would have been. I was more along the side with his 13 yr. old son who describes a landscape as how nature is or the arrangment of nature without interference. Malcome describes that a landscape is anything you see, for example a country scene is a landscape, but a city or a bunch of buildings at a point of view is also a landscape. It was good to hear a different way of thinking, i enjoy hearing different points of view because it is a way for me to open my mind.

As I read trough the reading, I found a particular phrase that took my attention, "The process might, therefore, be formulated as twofold: land into landscape; landscape into art". I took a lot of nature photographs, and I was thinking everything that is beautiful in my eyes will always be beautiful in the pictures, but I was wrong often the best picture I got was the one I did not expected to be. This phrase made me realized that to create an art, I need to find land first, then from the land(s) I find, I need to selectively find the right one and transform it to a landscape. Landscape is not enough, I need to transform it even more to a piece of art and that the hard part. Our eyes might think a particular landscape might be good, but there are more elements in that landscape that might influence the out come of the pictures i taken. Just like what the writer's example of the "Anecdote of a Jar". Every small things count in the final product, and those little things are actually the one that made the whole picture an art.

After reading "Land Into Landscape" it made me rethink what I defined a landscape as. A landscape is perceived differently by everyone.I found it very interesting when he pointed out that when each person looks at different landscapes they may be attracted to different things within it. For example, people who live in certain places might appreciate the landscape around them more because it feels more like home. A lot of the art that surrounds us contains different landscapes. We use the earth around us to make art. Andrews referred to art as what the artists translates from the landscape. I think people should find more beauty in the earth around us instead of simply looking at the world as different landscapes. People need to take the time to appreciate the true beauty around us.

In “Land Is Landscape” Malcolm Andrews describes a “landscape” as not just any outdoor scene that somebody decides to draw, but more of a formal piece of artwork that is a view of the land. The main purpose and theme of a landscape is referred to as the “Argument.” Andrews considers the landscape’s frame and Argument to be crucial elements of the artwork because without them, the landscape is a formless slab of land. Similar to a landscape, poetry needs a frame and an Argument. Although in poetry these terms are called structure and theme. It may not seem like all poetry contains structure, but it always does when looked at hard enough. Structure can vary from the size of stanzas to where the author decides to place line breaks to enjambment among other aspects. I see the frame of landscape artwork similar to the structure of a poem because they both relate to the way the author presents the work to the audience.

After Reviewing Land into Landscape there were many things that drew my attention that I found interesting such as how a Landscape can be any scenery that is imagined by the observer. This made made reconsider what a Landscape can be. Before I would imagine a Landscape just exactly as how his son would. The interesting part about Landscapes are that there many kinds of them although they all have a different special image to others they all represent different things. Landscapes are not only related to pictures but they are around us and that's what makes them unique.

Gulaid

"Land into Landscape" by Malcolm Andrews is an intricate text because Andrews branches out into many aspects and views of landscape. I was able to understand that people think land is different than landscape because land is physical whereas landscape has an artistic value to it. As I was reading I noticed that Andrews defined and explained his questions regarding why people view land differently than landscape, and what justified landscape as an art. Andrews had much to say about how people interpret landscape and why they interpret it a certain way. He had a detailed context but it was harder for me to understand the overall message Andrews was sending because he used high diction and complex sentence structure in certain areas. I was able to follow the general idea of the landscape enough to understand the distinction between land and landscape.

"Land into Landscape" by Malcolm Andrews gives some new perspectives into the landscapes around us. He gives talks about it as artistic features and not just as land. It showed that Landscape is really anything that you want it to be and that many different people could see a certain landscape very differently. Its a piece of artwork that someone draws, but everyone has their own view of it. That even though it has its own "context", people have their own view of what it is. He gives us a view examples of landscapes and of what they mean or what they are meant to describe. The landscapes can be simple or complex. It has really opened my view to landscapes and has showed me what they mean, or what they can mean.

After reading Land into Landscape, my understanding of what landscape actually is has changed. Before, I would think that landscape was just a another term of land, but a more wider and specific type of land. I realized from this reading and actually looking up the definition of landscape that landscape is one's visual opinion about the particular land that they are looking at and the beauty or appeal of it. In the reading it states that land creates landscape, then that landscape is what creates land art. Thinking about my new understanding of landscape, I can see the function of it and the greater value of land art. Its more than a "good piece of work" by an artist, but rather their beliefs of what that landscape meant to them. What really opened my eyes to this though was the stated research that modern people liked/preferred savannah and/or park like settings because of its "original land" attributes. I used to think that land wasn't as valued anymore, but its different because of the little things like things people prefer and what people call beautiful in which they may not even realize how much they value it themselves.