Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) visit

Post comments after visiting the museum

Claude Gelle’s artwork named “Pastoral Landscape” was, in my opinion, the most beautiful work of art that I saw. This painting made me feel star struck because it is a perfect projectile of nature. I am in aw that a human could create this with such amazing detail. It is an oil painting I think. It is a mystic landscape with water in the background; it is at sunset I believe. There is lush green landscapes and rolling hills in the background that blend in with the sky. I think that the artist is trying to convey the message that nature is only beautiful if it is untouched. Simple nature meaning that there is few buildings or human interaction but has changed a lot over the year. A person can tell that this is an old painting because we do not have much scenery like this left in the world. There are people and animals in the artwork and they seem as though they belong but they are small and not the main focus of the painting. The humans harmonize with the landscape. I feel that the artist did this on purpose. By having both animals and humans in the art the artist shows that both can live in harmony with nature if you don’t ruin it and I think that is also the narrative of the scene.

Jenni

The trip to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts was mystifying. There were so many beautiful pieces. The piece that stood out the most to me was "Factory Workers" by Romare Bearden. I inquired that it depicts the tough life of a 1920's factory worker. It made me feel almost sad. To see what they had to look forward to everyday made me sick. It would have been a definite struggle. The painting shows three black men leaving a factory after a long day's work. A brick wall covers half of the picture, to show that they go straight from the factory to the city. The painting really represents city life due to the lack of green in the background. The sky is also grey with little signs of blue. The men in the picture look depressed. "Factory Workers" is a painting that speaks to me.

I found many pieces in the Minneapolis institute of Art intriguing and unique. One piece that stood out to me the most was Untitled but it was by Gary Winogrand. It was a photograph of an elephants trunk reaching out with a man's hand over the trunk feeding it. My first impression was just how simple and clean it was. I think the artist was trying to convey the relationship between animals and man and how they come together and form a bond, whether we view that bond as simple or deep. I loved how it was such a simple connection between man and animal and was them just reaching out and touching one another. The description on the piece also mentioned the anonymity of the man in the piece . I didn't fully remember it, but I think the artist's choice to keep the man anonymous was important to the meaning of the piece. It represents the idea of how it could be anyone, or you could even imagine yourself in the picture if you wanted to. This piece does a great job of exemplifying how humans and animals have a relationship and a natural bond in life.

When I visited the Minneapolis Institute of Art it was interesting to see all the different exhibitions and specific pieces of art they had. This was my second time visiting the MIA and it was just as interesting this time as it was my first time. What stuck out to me was how each art piece had a background and the artist was trying to represent something. All people that were in the art pieces would show how they are feeling by the look in their eyes what’s around them. One piece that stuck out to me was migrant mother. I forgot who took the picture but this one was most interesting. What I got from this photo is it was taken during the great depression with a woman and her children around her. Looking at the photo closely the woman looks scared for herself and her children. She looks as if she does not know what is going to happen next with her life. This was just one photo that stuck out to me because it showed just a strong representation of a mother and her childrens life during the depression. The photo made me feel like I was in the picture experiencing what the women was going through.

Minneapolis Institute of Art
It was amazing to see the different exhibitions and pieces of art. It was cool to process that all these art works people made and or painted by hand. Every little detail was done by hand. The painting that grabbed my attention the most was the “Winter Landscape” by Rudolf Eickemeyer, Jr. This painting makes me really excited for winter. There are not people in this artwork however it shows that people have been present by the footprints in the snow and by the housing in the distance behind the hill. I feel that the human endeavor in this work is connected with the landscape. He is showing life in his painting. He has footprints in the snow tracking over the hill towards the house showing there is life. Even though most people dislike winter this painting for me, excites me. Seeing the sun begin to go down and brighten the snow is beautiful. I love the view of snow on trees and how houses look when covered in snow. The roof of the house in this picture also has snow piled up on top what I find very amusing. I love winter, I love to sled and spend time in the fluffy snow. But it is often different for others.
Kassy

The Minneapolis Institute of Art was very interesting to me. It's really impressive to see so much detailed art. With all the art that is there its hard to find one that really sticks out to you. One thing I noticed that stuck out to me is how deep each picture was. There are pictures that look very simple at a first glance but when you look deeper into them, they are much more elaborate. Many pictures in the institute can take you through different times in history. I think having more of a background in history can help you break down these arts even deeper. One that stuck out to me was "moll." Why this caught my attention was different that normal. This picture grabbed my attention because it honestly scared me. At first the picture seems harmless but when I look at her eyes the mood changed completely. Triggering emotion is just another amazing thing that art can do.

I haven’t been to many museums before, but now I’ve been to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, The Bell Museum of Natural History, The Science Museum of Minnesota, and The Museum Russian of Art just off 35W on Diamond Lake Road. None of these museums have been a bad experience for me, so I’m not sure why I haven’t been to more museums. One of the newer exhibits “The Audacious Eye: Japanese Art from the Clark Collections” has over 1,500 objects in the entire collection. Thanks to this exhibit, apparently MIA is able to label itself as one the nation’s largest contributors to Asian art. The collection contains artwork from every different type of paintings from Japan. Pieces from the exhibit vary in complexity, from paintings of people sitting around, to the tallest sculpture Fukami Sueharu, a praised Japanese ceramist, ever made, taking two years of his life. MIA was a good experience for me, and hopefully will get me on track to visiting museums more often.
Dave

After visited the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, I was amazed by the amount of art works they have, and how they actaully separated all the art works by time and area, so I was able to feel the changes of the arts based on the different time period. I like the area of the Asian arts because it made me feel familiar. While I looked at the art work like the "Scholar, Crane, and Banana Tree" by Chang Feng-i, it reminded me of China. There's another painting that grabbed my attention, "The Promenades of Euclid" by René Magritte. It's so interesting that there's a painting inside of the painting. Besides the beauty of the view and color, I learned more from it. Most of the views in the landscape art work were part of our nature and captured by the artist; however, when we walked along the river or looked at different views through the window, we didn't really pay much attention to the beauty of the nature. Artists painted them and enlarged the beuaty, so we were able to see these amazing views that we missed. Maybe someone else would have a different opinion when they looked at this painting, but that's the reason why art is wonderful because there's no right or wrong answer, and I enjoyed the process of thinking what the artist tried to tell us.

Sherry

My visit to the Minneapolis Institute of Art was eye opening. I do not usually visit art museums but it was an amazing experience to analyze the paintings and try to figure out its meaning. A painting that caught my eye was the "Landscape" 1825 photo by Thomas Cole which was also mentioned on the paper. Looking at the painting felt like I was living in the moment in the painting because I was taking in all the details of the scenery. The color in the sky was almost like dusk (my favorite time of day) and the people were cutting trees and interacting with nature. Paintings that catch my attention are ones that have people interacting with the scenery or are a part of the message the artist is trying to send about humanity.

The Minneapolis Institute of Art has a variety of incredible displays of art. One landscape painting that caught my attention was “The White Night” by Adolf Fassbender. It gives a feeling of a winter night in a park near a city. I feel the artist was conveying the peacefulness of the park at night compared to the restlessness of the city at night during the winter time. Looking at the painting I get a nostalgic feeling because if I was in the painting, it would be oppose; I would be looking out at the park from the city. But then I won’t see the park in as much detail as the painting shows, nor would a care as much because the city is so busy and noisy I wouldn’t really think twice about the park. Seeing the city from the park is weird, because it’s so peaceful and quiet in the park; it feels like a whole other world. There are no people in this painting, but there is evidence of human endeavor. There is a bridge in the park that is human made and then there is the cityscape behind the park. The bridge harmonizes with the park, but the city in back sets apart from park. If the painting did have a narrative it would be the first snow of winter in the park near the city. I think you can make chronological distinctions about landscape pictures because over time the landscape changes and what people see is what they are going to get ideas to do a their art. Back in the 18th century their art was more land, but 20th century is more cityscape. I think American works seem to be more replicates of the land, whereas European, Asian, and Native American is about land but with mythological and mystery.
Gabrielle

Although I was unable to visit the MIA because of lack of time, in Michigan we have a very similar art museum called the DIA which I've visited many times. It's always an intriguing experience and I love being able to see new art and just the artworks of others. I love being able to form my own opinions of artwork and trying to interpret the artwork myself. There was this one painting called the Winter Landscape that was just a beautiful picture of winter scenery in the 1800s I believe. I just like being able to go places that let my creative and artistic mind roam freely.

I wasn't actually able to go to the Minnesota Institute of Art, but I looked up all of the works that were listed on the handout. Although just looking at pictures isn't a better view of the actually art piece, I was still able to analyze to a decent extent. One artwork that caught my attention was Albert Bierstadt's "Lanscape" piece. Upon viewing the work, I caught myself thinking about how beautiful nature can be and that there are many other examples like this throughout the world and this is just a small piece of the true beauty. What triggered this feeling was the act of my eyes moving from the forest on the right to the horizon on the left. This made me think that this art piece was only one piece of the rest of the earth that I am unknown to. I live in this world, I go to parks, I am awake through the beautiful sun and sleeping through the moonlight, I hike forests, etc. I take part in the world everyday, but I fail to acknowledge the beauty that comes with it. I feel like I wait until somehow notices a part of the worlds beauty before I can truly acknowledge it. I see now that everyday I take for granted the beauty that I live in.

Michael

The trip to the Minneapolis Institute of Art was quite interesting because of how unique and creative the artist were. I was really interested in the in the Egypt and also the Ancient Near East Africa section as my instincts led me there. I felt a comfort soothing feeling because of the architecture in the room. An artwork that really caught my eye in this section was the Egyptian Monuments by Jean-Baptiste Huet. This painting was really interesting because it had all the different patterns of evolution in Egypt. This visit to the muesuem gave me a better understanding about what a landscape is as well.

Gulaid

At the Minneapolis Institute of Art there was a lot of beautiful artwork done by many different authors. The one that specifically caught my eye was Edward K. Thomas, "View of Fort Snelling." I think the artist was trying to show the vast amount of activity going on at Fort Snelling. There is intricate details hidden throughout the artwork, which makes the landscape more interesting to look at. In order to see all of the details you really have to concentrate and look deep into the picture. I felt like every time I looked at it I saw something new. There are many Indians throughout the picture. I believe the artist is trying to show what a normal day in the life of these people were by showing them in action. The angle and position of the way the artist chose to paint the photo was interesting to me. It showed a far away view point looking at Fort Snelling; so far that you could even see the bodies of water around it. I liked how he included the different houses and lifestyles around Fort Snelling because it gave you a good sense of what life was like around it.