Digital Focus Final Reflection

IMG_4451.JPG

Image Transfer Rose

Materials used: Cotton Fabric, Watercolor, Inkjet Transparency, and Matte Medium.

My final contains 9, 8x8 pieces of fabric used to create one image when put together.

My idea behind this project was that I wanted to create something that I could see using in my house as art, I wanted it to look nice and be something that other people would enjoy too. I also wanted to work with image transfer. It seemed interesting and fun. I thought it would be neat to break up my image and have them work together in creating one image.

With this project I did a lot of experimenting with the inkjet transfers, I found out that rice paper doesn't work well, and the matte medium will transfer inks from other things that you are working on. All my trials help a lot in transferring the final pieces just right. One reason I went with the rose was because it is such a full flower and other flowers would not have filled up the space as much, and would be harder to see what it is.

I'm proud with how my final piece works, I think the craftsmanship was done very well on it, the frames are very professional looking that they are in. I think I will probably end up hanging these up in my new house as a piece, And that is where I was originally wanting to display it.

If I were to further expand on this project, I would be interested in transferring images that are more photographic, maybe even using color. I think it would be fun to see a more complex image done on the inkjet transparency. I'm not sure I would break up the image if i tried using photographs though.

Overall, I did enjoy doing this project and I am satisfied with my final result.

Closer to Finished Pieces

Here is more work that is closer to what the final work will look like the first is the rose as a whole on the fabric material that I will be working on for the final product.

Photo 337.jpg

These two are what the final will look like, with the broken up pieces that fit together.

Photo 336.jpg

This last one is a frame similar to what I will be using on the final, the glass is just to show how it will look in a frame, I will be using 8x8 clip frames for the final piece. (The glass unfortunately glared on my computer though...)

Photo 334.jpg

Work in Progress

Here is an idea of what I am going towards.
idea1.png

These are two of the better canvas transfers. I have decided that for my final pieces, they need to have clear dark lines. I like the idea of the gridded piece, I just need to make my image darker so the transfer will work better. I like the lighter colored watercolor, and I think the cotton will help make it lighter and give a darker transfer. On Tuesday I am going to have more pieces on cotton fabric and more canvas transfers. (I'm just working out of town tomorrow and Thursday so I had to post this earlier because I won't have my computer.) By Tuesday I will have pieces that will be similar to the final production piece and have some works that could stand as their own piece.

Photo 341.jpg

Photo 338.jpg

More Experimenting.

Here is more work that i have done. I discovered that the rice paper that is very thin, does not work for this kind of image transfer. It's too thin to brush the matte medium on. I like how the thicker paper works. I will be trying more on canvas and on cotton fabric to see how that transfers.

Photo 330.jpg

Photo 329.jpg

Photo 331.jpg

These images I think worked out better.

Photo 328.jpg

Photo 332.jpg

Photo 335.jpg

These are two ways that I like the watercolor, but I knew the image transfer would not work on this paper.

Photo 324.jpg

Photo 327.jpg

Work for Crit 1

Here are two different image transfers. They are both using inkjet transparencies. The first one was done to try it out. The second I used acrylic paint on canvas. With a higher contrast image.
Photo 326.jpg
Photo 325.jpg

Blogs & Images I Discovered

These are two blogs that I found searching online. They both have a little about different ways you can use image transfers and how they worked for them.

Blog 1
Blog 2

Here are a couple images using watercolor and ink jet transperancies which is very similar to what I would like to do.

il_fullxfull.73619166.jpeg

il_fullxfull.73767013.jpeg

il_fullxfull.73809999.jpeg

My Plan

Here is an image that I am thinking about using watercolor as a base and doing the image transfers over.

watercolor.png

Image Transfer images

Here are some images that I found that use image transfers.

url-2.jpeg

url-3.jpeg

dscn3734.jpeg

friendcopy.jpeg

Polaroid Image Transfer

This is done differently than the inkjet transparency. Polaroid Image Transfer is the way a lot of artists are using image transfer. I will be using transparencies for my digital focus.

Image Transfer Artists

Peter G. Balazsy uses image transfer in his work. I like the full color images of these with the grunge look behind it.

Kathleen Carr is a photographer that uses polaroid image transfer of her photos.

Here are image transfers done by Marek Uliasz.

Recent Comments

• jandl008: I like the idea of making posters using image transfer. read more
  • ehri0019: I like Joellyn's idea about making the brush strokes make read more
  • linde386: I like how the first image turned out. I think read more

Recent Assets

• IMG_4451.JPG
  • Photo 334.jpg
  • Photo 336.jpg
  • Photo 337.jpg
  • idea1.png
  • Photo 338.jpg
  • Photo 341.jpg
  • Photo 335.jpg
  • Photo 332.jpg
  • Photo 328.jpg