Singles Are Financially Stressed, Study Says

I was browsing the US News website and found an article that caught my eye. The article, entitled Why Single People Are So Financially Stressed, spoke of the many reasons that singles in the United States fair worse than couples do financially. The article was based on a study by MetLife Mature Market Institute and the Society of Actuaries that surveyed adults between the ages of 45 and 80.

The study found many interesting things that were highlighted in the article. Among these is the fact that single people have more financial stresses than couples do and single women in particular have a hard time saving for retirement.

The study found that couples are more likely to take steps toward paying off debt, met with a financial advisor and invested for retirement.

I thought the article pointed out a lot of interesting points that were probably true of singles versus couples. The study seems to have been done by a legitimate source as well.

As I mentioned above, the study used the survey method to gather data. The article didn't mention how the survey was delivered, however.

If I had done this study, I would have probably tried to send this survey out through E-Mail. Some people can become sensitive about their finances as well as their relationship status and thus may have felt more comfortable filling out a survey online as opposed to over the phone.

The link to the article is here:

I hope you all enjoy the interesting article as well. I'm off to find more research for now.