Coach-Parent Partnership

Coach-Parent Partnership

I believe that the self-assessment tool that is provided by NASPE is enlightening in regard to what parents should do. Focusing on the child's development and not the scoreboard or the scholarship that can be offered is important in regaining control of youth sports. Focusing on the 'big picture' for your child helps them develop not only as children, but also young adults. Honoring and respecting the game was also highlighted in the article and are key aspects in the development of youth sports. The NASPE article briefly discusses the report card that was done by the Citizenship Through Sports Alliance, which would be an interesting tool to use in the self-assessment. The article states that the results of the report card were appalling, but doesn't reveal what they are. I went to the site that was given and found out the two Ds that were issued were Parental Behavior/Involvement and Child-Centered Philosophy. This is shocking and disturbing that parents are focused on their children, but themselves.

I thought that the "M" cap story in Anderson and Aberman was very intriguing. The fact that the athletes took control of it after a couple years and would turn their "M" cap over if they felt they didn't deserve that honor. You have to trust what you are doing for it to work even if it doesn't work the first couple of years. Sometimes you may have to alter your system to make it fit to the athletes on your team, but you need to trust your system and your philosophy to be effective. Another key point that Anderson and Aberman make is that as a coach you need to be a consultant, but not a parent. The coach needs to make sure there isn't a solid line between the athlete and the parent because that relationship between the athlete and parent is important with youth athlete development. Anderson and Aberman made very good points in regard to your coaching system and the development of it.

The FA Parent Guide scenes were rather disturbing. The father yelling at his son and his teammates confused all of them and took their mind off of what they do best, which is have fun. When someone is yelling and trying to 'coach from the bleachers' the team doesn't know what is right and wrong and takes away the role of coach away. The coach is there for a reason and regardless of the outcome supporting your youth athlete is the most important thing. Officials are also there for a reason and just because you yell at them doesn't mean the call is going to be changed. I use to be one of those that got upset when an official 'made a bad call,' but then I officiated a game and that gave me a totally different perspective. Ever since that game I cannot stand it when people yell at the officials, even my own parents and I will beg them to keep quiet because it is embarrassing. As a parent being there for support is what will help them develop as individuals not yelling at them and everyone else involved in the game. Working together as a coach and parent will give your athlete the optimal experience, performance, and development that is desired.

Molly Augustine

Work Citied:
Anderson & Aberman (2006), pp.142‐156, 64‐73.
The FA Parent Guide (video scenes) http://www.thefa.com/respectparentguide/
Through a Child's Eyes:Parents' Guide to Improving Youth Sports
http://www.aahperd.org/naspe/pdf_files/TACE_brochure.pdf