first session

well, I've got to say that my first session went much better than I ever could have imagined...I felt all set to go before I came into the center, but when I walked in I was much more nervous than I thought I would be...might have had something to do with getting about three hours of sleep the night before, up at five a.m....
but I'm not sure if it would have mattered if I was fully awake or not; the student that came in needed encouragement more than anything else...her ideas were solid, she just wasn't used to writing the sort of paper that her prof. was asking for...and as an ESL student, she was uncomfotable with some of her grammer...however, most of that grammar was fine, just minor mistakes, the kinds of mistakes we all make, so I stayed away from that, focused on the positive....we ended up reworking and reorganizing her ideas to make the paper a little more solid, following the form that she was expected to use for this essay...
I think the most effective thing we did was work on the strength of the language she was using...like I said, she had a lot of great ideas, but she was introducing them with phrases such as 'I think,' 'I would guess,' etc....when we changed a few choice words to give her argument a more athoritative tone, the tone her paper and her ideas deserved, it seemed like she felt a lot more confident in her writing, her ideas, and this essay...
I've got to say, it was a lot easier than I thought...she's going to come back in when she gets the essay back and starts working on the next one (she has like five more of the same assigment the rest of the semester) so maybe it'll turn out that her prof. wasn't as happy with the essay as she and I were...regardless, I think this was a great place to start, this building confidence in a writer...it was her work, and it was good work; she just needed a little nudge to see how good it was, how close she really is to writing a damn good essay...

at September 14, 2005 12:49 PM