here we go...

It's hard to believe that we're already at the end of the semester...it's been quite a ride; learned a lot, loved a lot...uhh, well, guess I'll talk about a memorable session I had...not a good one:
this woman came in with a paper and asked me to look at it and make suggestions...she was mostly worried about contradicting herself...she said that she knew that it might sound hard to believe, but that she did it all the time...
I read the paper all the way through...I didn't see any glarring contradictions, but I did notice that she made a lot of broad assumptions based on rather unrelated facts...for example, she said that all white kids go to school in the suburbs and all black kids go to inner-city schools...I suggested that this might be somewhat of an overgeneralization...she didn't like hearing that and snapped at me, saying that her data (sketchy reslts from one city school) supported her point...I tried to explain to her that that wasn't actually true, but she just wouldn't hear it...
I don't think there was a whole lot I could do about that session, so I just let it go...you can't win 'em all...

at December 13, 2005 11:35 AM