About me and this blog

Eating locally, thinking globally.

The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul have always had a pretty good arts scene, which probably made a good launching pad for the diversification of cuisine that happened with the arrival of Immigrants from Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Europe in the past 20 years or so. A growing national trend for locally grown food is here, too, complicated by our location in USDA hardiness zone 4. There was a reason that our pioneer predecessors learned to can food -- the winters are cold and long.

Having lived in several countries, I returned to my home state of Minnesota in 2007. During the years that I was away, the food scene here has changed for the better, and in a big way. That was a nice surprise.

My day job is with the University of Minnesota Extension, source of expert advice on growing food and eating healthfully. I am not a scientist, but a curious cook, novice gardener and critical restaurant patron with access to blogging software.

-- Ann Nordby

Recipe: Arroz Caldo, or Fil-Am Chicken & Rice Soup
In Hong Kong it's called congee in English and jook in Cantonese. The Filipinos call it arroz caldo, which means…
Can you say Vaj? *
Saveur magazine offers everything you ever wanted to know about butter ... and more. It describes the basic kinds of…
Dubonnet -- a walk back in time
When QEII has finished waving from the balcony of Buckingham Palace and turns back into the room behind her to…