media loves sex

i'm sure we have all seen advertisements on tv, the internet, in magazines, or on billboards that depict women as an object of sex. this happens not only in advertising but in the music and movie industries as well.

advertisers use female sexuality to sell their products. this has been happening more and more and the years go on. i personally havenít seen many males being depicted as sexual objects in the media. this exploitation of the female body and sexuality has gotten out of hand.

how many music videos have you seen where women are prancing around in some scantily clad outfit, often a barely-there swimsuit? yeah thatís pretty much the theme to most music videos iíve seen.

i know there are some female performers out there that express the same feelings towards the male sex. but for the most part women have been used as objects of males sexual desires.

i know sex sells. but i think in some cases we have taken it a bit too far. im not a prude or anything but somethings i see are just plain degrading.

Posted by gotk0001 at 1:31 PM

I thought I could trust Oprah

I was watching Oprah the other day, and she was hosting one of her infamous "make over" specials. There were about 5 or 6 women on the show, and she was helping them "femme up" their wardrobes. Ordinarily I like watching shows like this, but this time I had just finished reading chapter six from our Riki Wilchins text, and I had to wonder, "what was wrong with these women to begin with?"

I love Oprah, don't get me wrong. To her credit, there was no pressure on the women to lose weight, (well, except from one of the fashion experts who called this one girl's thighs "super-chunky"), but for the most part, emphasis was placed on helping the women to find outfits that would be more flattering to their body shape.

Yet, these women seemed perfectly happy and comfortable with their original style of dress. It wasn't until Oprah's fashion police pulled them over and told them they looked like lumberjacks did they feel compelled to change their appearance.

Okay, maybe they felt self conscious about their appearance before the Oprah show, but a good question is: why?

On page 69 of Queer Theory Wilchins writes: "We are subject in daily life to a continuous dressage of gender, each individual's every move is weighted with gendered meaning." Wilchins goes on to say that we join other people in policing our behavior, and this sort of self-scrutiny ensures that we stay within acceptable gender norms.

There just doesn't seem to be much space for sexuality if people decide to deviate from their socially perscribed gender role.

Posted by nort0173 at 10:40 AM

self esteem

Okay, so does anyone feel like their personal worth as a HUMAN BEING is ever influenced by how attractive they feel (ladies)? Or for how long they can last in bed (gentlemen)? Or both.

like what's up with all these advertisements like: viagra, and levitra, and hair growing supplements.

or like 20 different magazines dedicated to enhancing female beauty.

No pressure to look good or anything...
No pressure to look good and have lots of sex or anything...

And what's up with this duality: You need to look good and have sex, but if you do have sex then you are a skank.

Posted by nort0173 at 10:48 AM