Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and Coca-Cola

Last week I participated in a study that was emailed to me from the UMN SJMC Research Participation System. This survey took place in two parts. I took the first part of the survey and then in a week or so later I was emailed the second part of the survey to complete.

The first part of the survey was focused on the participant's different relationship with brands. I was asked how close my relationship was with the brand and how loyal I was with different brands. The brands that stuck out to me were the brands Coca Cola and Pepsi. I chose that I had a very close relationship with Coke and a very distant relationship with Pepsi.
270412_495068893850956_563774370_n.jpeg
The first part of the survey continued by asking about the participant's political views, mainly whether I identified as a liberal or conservative, or if I was more likely to vote democratic or republican. Also, in the light of the election, this survey used the Semantic Differential Scale to list different characteristics/ qualities for both Mitt Romney and Barrack Obama for the participant to express their opinions about each candidate. Being very liberal, I tended to favor Obama on the semantic differential scale.

After a week or so I had to take the second part of the survey. This survey began with a video of Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart making fun of super pacs. After watching the video the participant was asked a number of questions regarding their opinions toward super pac. For me this part was a little confusing since this is the first time I had heard of super pacs. I knew they had to be bad if Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert were making fun of it, but I was still unsure to what they were and why they were bad. After the survey I had to google it to understand what they were. It would have been helpful if the survey had also explained what a super pac was instead of using the video for the participants to infer the meaning of a super pac. By having the survey taken online, it enables the researcher to include good visuals and videos. This was a helpful way of keeping the participants interests.

As the survey continued it provided an article on Coca Colas views showing that Coke is a very conservative company. It also had me pick which brand I was most loyal to again and then pick which brands ideals and values I related with more closely. I unfortunately had to say that my political views are close to Pepsi and very distant with Coke. It was interesting participating in this survey since while I was providing the researcher with useful information, I also learned things that I did not know before as well.

During the second part of the survey, I was also asked many of my viewpoints again such as my political views and the semantic differential scale of both Romney and Obama. This was a way to check the participant reliability. They wanted to make sure that I had not changed my views in the week between the different part of the surveys.