U.S. Distrust in Media

This September, Gallup conducted a survey that showed that Americans' distrust in the media has hit a new high. Here are the results shown over time.

Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 12.06.53 PM.png

Over the years, it appears that the trust in the media had began to decline, and has hit an all time low for this election year. This survey showed results of a record high of 6 out of 10 with little or no truest in the mass media's ability to report the news accurately and fairly. This year peoples' distrust in the media drastically since it is an election year, which generally brings negativity.

This survey is based on telephone interviews that were conducted on September 6-9. Gallup used a random sample of 1017 adults living in the United States and District of Columbia. Based on the total sample, there is a 95% confidence that the margin of error is +/- 4% points.

It is important to think about all the effects that the current election has on the media's image. It seems that every election year the presidential commercial begin to irritate all viewers as the politicians talk bad about one another. News networks also create this feeling of distrust as the put their politician bias into their stories. I feel that it is really important after election years that the media wins back the publics trust. The media is suppose to tell the truth, so it is important to have that unbiased honests voice for the public to be informed.

It is exciting to read about research that interests me, and I can see myself using this research in my future career. I am interested in working with media so it is very relevant to that career choice that the general public has demonstrated distrust in the media. I think surveys like this one are very relevant and interesting to look at.