Feedback from OCE Book Group, April 6th 2010 - UMD Assets, Needs and Questions
• UMD is a small institution, we know each other
• Collaborative, we can sit down and talk to one another
• Mission Statement for Liberal Education
• Office of Civic Engagement on campus, engage the campus as a whole
• Need to bring CE into education: make it part of what they're learning and part of what they do to learn
• Need to integrate; we need an integrator
• Need to bring everyone together to figure out a collective understanding and common framework
• Need help making the match
• Need to bring students from all different majors together, to see the value in all different disciplines and how they can work together
• Need goals to connect to the larger institution
• Need a clearing house, a way to bring people together to brainstorm on the range of courses and to help people make their own connections
• Really need faculty buy-in (they need rewards)
• Internships are seen as more rigorous. We need to bridge that gap to make engaged internships
• Need engaged research and scholarship
• An all-campus engagement day (this day would save money for the institution too!)
• We need to know where we're going, as an institution
• Need to make this place more accessible to the community
• Need to listen to the community, how can we serve them?
• Need a clearing house for community needs
• Need community to feel that UMD is THEIR university
• How to teach students to use power responsibly, when faculty and staff don't demonstrate how?
• What steps can we take, to offer options not set-backs?
• Acknowledge successes - what are some milestones? Can we put together a show?
• What is the engaged campus?