Recently in National news Category

New Haven firefighters get promotions after discrimination case

CNN.com reported Wednesday that the city of New Haven will promote 14 firefighters who were involved in a reverse discrimination case that went to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The 14 were part of a group one Hispanic and 19 white firefighters, the "New Haven 20," who fought the city after it threw out a promotion exam given in 2003 which too few minorities passed. They claim that the city gave preferential treatment to blacks.

The U.S. District Court issued a judgment that said that the city violated civil rights when it threw out the exams.

Matt Marcarelli, a white firefighter, earned the top score on the written exam in 2003, but after the city reviewed the test results Marcarelli was denied a promotion.

"Every day I go to work I've got to pin this lieutenant's badge on me, it reminds me I got screwed out of a captain's badge because of the color of my skin," Marcarelli said before the promotion, ABC News reports.

Out of New Haven's 221 firefighters, blacks make up about a third of the workforce.

The 14 firefighters will be promoted to either lieutenant or captain.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the National news category.

Local news is the previous category.