« Education, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied? | Main | That Glib And Oily Art »

Ready For the Grind

The play seems to be alluding to the disconnect or the chasm that lies between an education in liberal arts and the real world. It is something that I am familiar with as I am getting closer to the end of my career as a student in this field. It is a source of mounting frustration and anxiety, especially during the holidays when well intentioned relatives ask me about my career plans. "Professional student", is often my response as I imagine myself climbing up onto the kitchen table to let everyone know that I don't know...right now exactly what is that I want to do, but I am working on it. I certainly don't want to be "slurped down" by an adulterous Wall Street Journal subscriber.

But, much like the students in the story I feel the pressures of time and the the cold dark shadows of the looming ivory towers around me.

I do not, however, feel that my education experience let me down. I've never imagined for a minute that studying the classics would get me into a high paying position or that I'd land some dream job working for Spin or National Geographic. I've always known that it would be a grind and I guess I'm ready for it.

Service learning projects are cool. I've definitely logged in the hours at schools, nursing homes, food shelves, shelters and drives. At first when the prof. announces that it is going to be a requirement, I have to admit that I usually consider dropping the class,just for nanosecond i think- great, another concentrated dose of reality to cure me from my idealism. But, all in all they have turned out to be some of the best parts of my undergraduate career—and they look great on a resume or curriculum vitae.

I agree with you when you say “"Professional student", is often my response as I imagine myself climbing up onto the kitchen table to let everyone know that I don't know...right now exactly what is that I want to do, but I am working on it� I very much feel the same way when my relatives ask me that question. Being the first person in my family to go to college, even to graduate from high school really put me on the spot. I also agree that if you’re learning then you haven’t wasted anything. Just keep working on your dreams and you’ll get there someday. I too will be working on mines. Take the pressures of time and the cold dark shadows of the looming ivory towers around you off and you’ll do great.

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Magnificent. I'm also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

As I web site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling great , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.