« Seeing Marriage as a Financial Union | Main | Running Late(ly)? »

Master & Servent.

This play is full of power relationships. Some are forced to bend to anothers will as in the relationships Prospero has with Ariel and Caliban. Others are more willing as in Ferdinand and Miranda who seem to be in servatude to each other by choice.

I am in my condition
A prince, Miranda; I do think, a king-
I would, not so!--and would no more endure
This wooden slavery than to suffer
The flesh-fly blow my mouth. Hear my soul speak;
The very instant that I saw you did
My heart fly to your service, there resides
To make me slave to it, and for your sake
Am I this patient log-man. (Ferdinand-III i 59-67)

I am your wife, if you will marry me:
If not, I'll die your maid. To be your fellow
You may deny me, but I'll be your servent
Weather you will or no. (Miranda III i 83-86)

The lines between master and servent are very clearly draw in each relationship. Alonso and the nobles; the nobles and the ships crew; Prospero and Miranda... etc. In this play the lines are very clear in order to stress the point. In our lives the lines are more blured, or are they. When we come to class each day we have nice conversations on our opinions of Shakespears works. These conversations are all very pleasent and enjoyable. It seems like I am hanging out with a group of friends most of the time. However, the bottom line is Mitch is our teacher and holds the power of our grade over our head. How many of us would bother to contribute to class discussions if this were not true? How many of us would even show up at all? Prospero's relationship with Ariel is pleasent most of the time, as long as Ariel dosn't challange him. Just as Prospero has control and power over Miranda our parents (yours more than mine) have power over us. Prosper manipulates Miranda's relationship with Ferdinand. If Miranda marrys Ferdinand then Prospero should have no problem regaining his position as duke of Milan. If you don't pass your classes your parents may lose bragging rights over there brilliant child with the degree from the U of M. They may then stop sending you money. Basicaly what I am saying is in every relationship one person hold more, if not all, of the power.

Bekah

I am confused. Mitch has power?... Our parents have power?... Bragging rights?... Sending money??? I think it is totally opposite. We are in control of our grade, and we shall participate if we want to. Mitch has little to no power! We earn our grades, and he simply enters the scores into the system, and we earn what we want. Parents may have had some power as we were younger, but as we turn the ripe age of 18, we are considered adults. According to Wikipedia "The Age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as it is conceptualized in law. It is the chronological moment when children legally assume majority control over their persons and their actions and decisions, thereby terminating the legal control and legal responsibilities of their parents over and for them." This clearly explains that we are in control of our lives. And with the comments about bragging parents, this is the University of MN people, not Yale or Harvard. Unless you are in one of the top accredited programs, there is really no need to brag. To be proud, yes, but brag, not really. Basically what I am saying is that we are in control of our lives, and we should take full advantage of it. Go Twins!

I think I agree with Dane, because if a student fails a class, it is mostly due to them being irresponsible, not because some professor failed the student just because they had some disagreement in class. If a student fails classes consistently, his parents probably should not send him money because he does not deserve to go to college. The point is, the only “masters� a person has is their parents when they are younger. However, it is necessary to have someone to point out what to do in life when a person is so young. I think of parents as being the foundation for the child, and good parents should control their kids correctly.

Students are able to control themselves in almost any situation once they are in college. Parents that have controlled their children correctly will probably be more responsible during this age. When someone turns eighteen, he or she can move out of their parents’ control. They can also study hard and gloss Shakespeare’s plays like no tomorrow. It is more about a person’s control of oneself. However, sometimes people have a more difficult time controlling their situation. Some parents do not treat their children right and end up hurting their future. Also, students who are in financial troubles could be too stressed to do anything productive. Or, something tragic happens and the students lose control of themselves, and start doing poorly in everything. People must be able to look past the difficulties to control themselves. Therefore, there really is not a master or slave relationship between anyone in America, but how a person acts and controls themselves receives the outcome they desire. I believe it is the most wise to take advantage of golden opportunities, doing the best one can, and to live the life that only dreams are made of. And I hope the Twins are able to get out of a 4 game losing streak…Go Twins!